1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Lagrange equation of motion

1. Jun 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equations of motion for both r and [itex]\theta[/itex] of
    5E%7B2%7D%20%5Cright%29%5Cdot%7Br%7D%5E%7B2%7D+r%5E%7B2%7D%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D%20%5Cright%29-mgH.png

2. Relevant equations
    My problem is taking the derivative wrt time of

ex?%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%20L%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D%7D=mr%5E2%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D.png
    and
    [itex]\dfrac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{r}}=m \dot{r} \left( 1 + \left( \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial r}\right)^2 \right)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So
    %7B%5Ctheta%7D%7D%20%5Cright%29=2mr%5Cdot%7Br%7D%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D+mr%5E2%5Cddot%7B%5Ctheta%7D.png
    I think this is correct. I have the solution to the second expression but I am unsure how it was found
    [itex]
    m \ddot{r} \left( 1 + \left( \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial r}\right)^2 \right) + 2 m \dot{r}^2 \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial r}\dfrac{\partial^2 H}{\partial r \partial t}
    [/itex]
    The first part of this expression is fine it is the second part I am unsure of.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please specify what ##H## is a function of.

4. Jun 1, 2015 #3
    HI, sorry H(r).

5. Jun 1, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So if H is only a function of r, the only possible derivative of H is the total derivative wrt r. Since r depends on t, the derivative wrt t is given by the chain rule. This also goes for dH/dr, which is also a function of r. The partial derivative of H wrt t does not make sense if H does not depend explicitly on t.

6. Jun 1, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, if we write ##K(r) = (\partial H(r) /\partial r)^2## (which is just some computable function of ##r##) you have
    [tex] {\cal{L}} = \frac{1}{2} m \left((1+ K(r)) \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta} \right) - mgH(r) [/tex]
    Thus,
    [tex] {\cal{L}}_r \equiv \partial {\cal{L}} /\partial r = \frac{1}{2}m \left( K'(r) \dot{r}^2 + 2 r \dot{\theta} \right) - m g H'(r) [/tex]
    so
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt} {\cal{L}}_r = \frac{1}{2} m \left( K''(r) \dot{r}^3 + K'(r) 2 \dot{r} \ddot{r} + 2 \dot{\theta} \right) - mg H''(r) \dot{r} [/tex]

If ##H## does not depend explicitly on ##t## there should be no ##\partial H/\partial t## anywhere.

7. Jun 1, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This, although correct, is not relevant for the Euler-Lagrange equations which contain what you would call ##d\mathcal L_{\dot r}/dt##. Also, please allow the OP to try to do the derivatives for himself.

8. Jun 1, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right. Anyway, the OP did try to obtain the derivatives for himself, but made some errors. I admit maybe I should have not written so much detail (which does not matter anyway, since I did the wrong calculation!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted