1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eulerian vs. Lagrangian description

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves so that [tex] \vec{x} \equiv [x_0 exp(2t^2), y_0 exp(-t^2), z_0 exp(-t^2)] [/tex]. Find the velocity of the particle in terms of [tex] x_0 [/tex] and t (the LAgrangian description) and show it can be written as [tex] \vec{u} \equiv (4xt, -2yt, -2zt),[/tex] the Eulerian description

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \vec {u} = [4tx_0 exp(2t^2), -2ty_0 exp(-t^2), -2tz_0 exp(-t^2)] [/tex]

The exp's go to 1 !!?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2
    No, i suppose it's just that in your velocity vecotr you can substitute the term [tex]x_0exp(2t^2)[/tex] with x - "first part" from your [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] vector and so on

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Yeah but why/how can you do that

5. May 30, 2010 #4
    Well, i guess because they're equal. I see no physical meaning of such operation, it's just the mathematical identity that allows you to subsitute it.
    Let's consider a single function [tex]f(x)=exp(2x)[/tex]. Obviously, [tex]\frac{df}{dx}=2exp(2x)[/tex]. And you can write [tex]\frac{df}{dx}=2f(x)[/tex], which is true for all x, but doesn't really mean anything.

E:and so, in your example, you just get [tex]x_x=x_0exp(2t^2)[/tex], [tex]u_x=4tx_0exp(2t^2)=4tx[/tex]

6. May 30, 2010 #5
    Anyone else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook