1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's formula and differential equations

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the complex number [tex]z=rcos\theta + irsin\theta[/tex], where [tex]r=|z|[/tex], [tex]\theta=arg(z)[/tex] ([tex]r[/tex] is constant, [tex]\theta[/tex] is a variable). Show that [tex]\frac{dz}{d\theta}=iz[/tex], then solve this differential equation to show that [tex]z=re^{i\theta}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]z=rcos\theta + irsin\theta[/tex]

[tex]z=re^{i\theta}[/tex]

[tex]r=|z|[/tex]

[tex]\theta=arg(z)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had no problem showing that [tex]\frac{dz}{d\theta}=iz[/tex]. My problem was with the second part; I thought it was pretty straightforward, but it simply didn't work.

[tex]\frac{dz}{d\theta}=iz[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dz}=\frac{1}{iz}[/tex]

[tex]i\int\frac{d\theta}{dz}dz=\int\frac{1}{z}dz[/tex]

[tex]i\theta=ln|z|+C[/tex]

[tex]i\theta-C=lnr[/tex]

[tex]e^{i\theta-C}=r[/tex]

[tex]e^{-C}\times e^{i\theta} = r[/tex]

Which is impossible! For this to be Euler's formula, [tex]e^{-C}[/tex] needs to be equal to [tex]r[/tex], which I suppose is okay because [tex]e[/tex], [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex] are constants. But the problem is the [tex]r[/tex] in the right-hand side of the equation. The only way I see for it to be [tex]z[/tex] instead of [tex]r[/tex] would be if [tex]\int\frac{1}{z}dz=lnz[/tex] rather than [tex]\int\frac{1}{z}dz=ln|z|[/tex]. But this is cannot be, or can it?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's quicker to move things around to get z and dz on one size and [itex]d\theta[/itex] on the other.
    [tex]\frac{dz}{z }=id\theta[/tex]
    Now integrate to get an equation involving z and [itex]\theta[/itex].
    What if you work this through without replacing |z| as you did in the following equation?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help, but I don't see how not replacing |z| by r solves anything. I would still get a |z| instead of a z. Besides, if I have defined |z| to be r, then I should be able to freely substitute |z| by r without any contradiction, shouldn't I?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook