Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

European transistor conversions

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    I got a electrical wiring diagram from my dads friend for a device that he wants me to build for him but the wiring diagram is from Ukraine and i can not seem to be able to find any of the transistors for the device, If any one can help it would be great. The numbers are KT835, KT827, and a KT315. If anyone can help me find where I can convert those numbers into american numbers it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
  4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    thanks for that website but i can figure out how to us it or where i can buy one of those transistors any ways

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post the schematic? We could probably suggest some alternate parts to use. Also, I was looking at that datasheet link earlier, and it's for a slotted optical sensor with transistor output. Is that what the KT835 is on your schematic? If not, it may just be a google hit thing.

6. Sep 21, 2009 #5
    I will try to get the schematic scanned into the computer and uploaded as soon as I can. Thanks for all your help.

7. Sep 23, 2009 #6
    here is the schematic. let me know if you guys have any ideas that might work in place of the transistors.

scan002.jpg

8. Sep 23, 2009 #7
    Hi RSmikh
    The KT835 is an optotransistor-optoisolator with a 2-terminal output (collector-emitter). This is not used in your schematic at the location shown.
    Bob S.

9. Sep 23, 2009 #8

uart

Science Advisor

That thing's a simple square wave inverter right? Anyway they're all just general purpose/power npn transistors.

For the kt315 use just about any low power npn type. I'd use BC337.

For the kt835 use just about any medium power npn. I'd use BD139 or similar.

For the kt827 you need a power transistor. Without more circuit details I cant say for sure but probably rated at least 10Amps and 30 volts. It's been a while since I've use power transistor so I can't recommend a part off the top of my head - these days it's all mosfets for that type of application.

BTW. That looks like a pretty old design. You know you could replace the kt835, and the 22R resistor, and the kt827 and the anti-parallel diode all with a single n-channel mosfet! It would probably be cheaper more efficent and more reliable. Something like IRL2703 would be perfect (as would many other similar power mosfets) : https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/ir?cmd=catProductDetailFrame&productID=IRL2703PBF [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Sep 23, 2009 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess is that they are referring using old Soviet designations.
    There is no such thing as "European" transistors; in western Europe (and after the collapse of the Soviet union the east as well) the designations (and the components, since they are made in the Far East) are exactly the same as in the US. Nowadays engineers in Ukraine use exactly the same components as the rest of the world so presumably the schematic is quite old.

There are a few DIY sites around where people discuss old Eastern Block electronics (radios, hi-fi etc), maybe you can find a table somewhere which lists equivalent.

11. Sep 23, 2009 #10
    the schematic is at least 50 years old from what i know because my grandfather got it when he worked at a nuclear power plant back in Ukraine, before we moved to America. If anyone knows where I can find a chart to find the equivalent let me know, mean while I will try to find one myself but maybe one of you guys knows of a good one let me know. Thanks

12. Sep 24, 2009 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

FYI, the BJT was invented about 50 yeas ago, and not in the Ukraine...

EDIT -- reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

13. Sep 24, 2009 #12
    If I did try to use the MOSFET idea does it still get hooked up the same way as the transistors do. Would they have 1 on Mouser.com since that is where I get all of my electrical components. I am not all that great with electronics but so if you guys can help me that would be great thanks.

14. Sep 24, 2009 #13

uart

Science Advisor

If you're still looking for replacement transistors then the two I mentioned above will definitely work ok. The power transistor (kt827 replacement) is the hardest case because the current-gain is an important factor. A readily available option would be TIP3055 and I'm pretty sure it would do the job ok as long as the current is under about 6 Amps.

If you want to try a mosfet replacement then remove components kt835, 22 ohms, kt827 and the diode from the circuit and replace with power mosfet as follows.

- mosfet drain connects to where kt827 collector was previously connected.
    - mosfet source connects to where kt827 emitter was previously connected.
    - mosfet gate connects to where kt835 base was previously connected.
    - Add an extra 1k resistor from gate to source to simulate the base current in kt835 as this current has an influence on the oscilator period.

You would also benefit from adding some series resistance (say approx 1k) in each of the cross-coupled bases of the kt315 (bc337) but this is optional. (this would be a benefit even if you used the original transistors, it speeds up the rise time of the base/gate drive and reduces switching losses).

BTW. I think there is an error in the schematic. On the left hand side the 27k and 330 ohm pull-up resistors are interchanged. The 27k resistor should be on the base side of the capacitor and the 330 ohms on the collector side.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  15. Sep 24, 2009 #14
    the resistance should stay below 6 amps since the original power source has only 10 amps. I might try both options and see how it works out if anyone has any other ideas or better solutions let me know. Thanks for all your help.

16. Sep 25, 2009 #15
    one last question, just wondering what would L1, L2, and L3 be is it just coils of some sort or would it be a a step up transformer.

17. Sep 25, 2009 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like a step-down transformer with center-tap. L3 is the primary coil, L1 and L2 the secondary.

Do you want to build for 220V or 110V input? Either way, you'd want to know what the transformer output is supposed to be. Maybe some of the other folks in here can figure that out.

18. Sep 26, 2009 #17

uart

Science Advisor

Ok so you don't actually know what this circuit is for, is that correct?

Because my best guess is that this circuit is a very simple 12V to 220 volt inverter. This would make L1:L2:L3 a 12:12:220 volt step-up transformer with center-tapped primary. It should have as low as possible leakage inductance (that is, very good magnetic coupling) and it's extremely important that you get the relative phasing correct on the two primaries.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  19. Sep 26, 2009 #18
    the diagram says that the battery is supposed to be 12volts for the power source and since i realize that most of you can not read Ukraine the side notes in the top right say that L1 and L2 are 1.5mm devices rated at 17 each and L3 is a.3mm device rated at 700. which is why i could not figure out exactly what they were trying to use there.

20. Sep 26, 2009 #19

uart

Science Advisor

Ok that will be the number of turns. I'd wind the 700 turn secondary onto the bobbin first, then add an insulation layer, and then wind L1 and L2 bi-filar (take the two lengths of wire side by side and wind 17 turns of both at the same time). Do they specify what core to use?

21. Sep 26, 2009 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oops, I had that backwards. Sorry!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook