Transistor questions in control a stepper motor

In summary, Sherldonnnn is trying to control a stepper motor with a transistor-based switch and is looking for help from experts. The hFE of a transistor varies with Collector current and the data sheet has three lines of data for different currents. The min=120, typ=110, max=400 seems irrational since the typical is less than the minimum.
Sherldonnnn
Hello,

I am Sherldonnnn. I'm very happy I can ask my questions here to get your help. If you can help me solving my questions that will be very nice.

Now I am trying to control a stepper motor with a simple transistor-based switch. I still with to consult with the experts here on some basic questions:

The transistor I bought from kynix semiconductor has labeling as "S8050 D 331". I used a multimeter to measure its hfe value and it shows 186 (varying between 186 and 188).
S8050 D 331.jpg

However, when i browsing kynix electronics .I found a document from http://www.kynix.com/Detail/650928/S8050.html which appears to me somewhat confusing:
1663.hfe.JPG

1. There are hfe1, hfe2, hfe3for this S8050 transistor and for each there are associated MIN, TYP and MAX value. for hfe1and hfe3there areonlya MIN value, but for hfe2the values MIN, TYP and MAX areallexist. Why is the difference?

2. What does hfe1, hfe2and hfe3mean? If they all exist, do I still have a unique value? Which one of them correspond to the186value which I got from the multimeter?

3. Why for each of them there are a range of values (MIN, TYP, MAX)? If the hfe has, for example like hfe2, MIN value as low as100and MAX as high as400, then how can I know exactly which hfe value the transistor will operate on, and consequently, how should I design the circuit (resistance values, saturation mode, etc.)?I could hardly see any clue in this data sheet. Help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Sherldonnnn
S8050.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
The value of Hfe is hard to control during manufacture so devices are sorted into different grades or ranks after manufacture. The value of Hfe is also current dependent, which is why they identify three different ranges.

The min=120, typ=110, max=400 seems irrational since the typical is less than the minimum. Either there is a typo in the data sheet or the typical and the maximum refers to all classes of the device.

Low Hfe increases the base current required to drive the output load. High Hfe slows down the transistor in high speed applications because it multiplies the miller capacitance between base and collector.

You should always design for the worst case values. That is why the minimum and maximum values are given.
An analogue circuit is designed to minimise gain variation due to Hfe. Hfe spread and variation is then not critical.
A digital circuit will need some way of limiting the base current to the maximum required for the lowest Hfe.

Can you post the circuit diagram that shows how you will use this transistor.

Baluncore said:
The min=120, typ=110, max=400 seems irrational...
I agree, looks like an error in the data sheet; I would choose for 110 for both min and typ, and probably design for 100 or less.

You will notice that the three lines of hFE data are for different Collector currents, Ic. This is another case of a confusing data sheet. The hFE of a transistor varies with Collector current and these three lines show the hFE to expect at different currents. In the US at least, data sheets do not number the entries, just leave them all as hFE. The 'binning' for gain is presented as a field in the part number, such as "S8050-1", "S8050-2"; or more often as "S8050-A", "S8050-B". If such binning is used, they typically appear as separate columns on the data sheet.

Baluncore said:
The value of Hfe is hard to control during manufacture so devices are sorted into different grades or ranks after manufacture. The value of Hfe is also current dependent, which is why they identify three different ranges.

The min=120, typ=110, max=400 seems irrational since the typical is less than the minimum. Either there is a typo in the data sheet or the typical and the maximum refers to all classes of the device.

Low Hfe increases the base current required to drive the output load. High Hfe slows down the transistor in high speed applications because it multiplies the miller capacitance between base and collector.

You should always design for the worst case values. That is why the minimum and maximum values are given.
An analogue circuit is designed to minimise gain variation due to Hfe. Hfe spread and variation is then not critical.
A digital circuit will need some way of limiting the base current to the maximum required for the lowest Hfe.

Can you post the circuit diagram that shows how you will use this transistor.
Yes,I agree with you .It's really difficult. I am trying to make a diagram. Hope you don't feel offend. I can't do it very fast.Thanks for your suggestion!

Tom.G said:
I agree, looks like an error in the data sheet; I would choose for 110 for both min and typ, and probably design for 100 or less.

You will notice that the three lines of hFE data are for different Collector currents, Ic. This is another case of a confusing data sheet. The hFE of a transistor varies with Collector current and these three lines show the hFE to expect at different currents. In the US at least, data sheets do not number the entries, just leave them all as hFE. The 'binning' for gain is presented as a field in the part number, such as "S8050-1", "S8050-2"; or more often as "S8050-A", "S8050-B". If such binning is used, they typically appear as separate columns on the data sheet.
Yes, maybe the datasheet was wrong. Thanks . I will check it out and carefully read the other documents.

1. What is a transistor and how does it control a stepper motor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that acts as a switch or amplifier for electronic signals. It controls a stepper motor by regulating the amount of current flowing through the motor's coils, which determines the motor's speed and direction of rotation.

2. What are the advantages of using transistors to control a stepper motor?

Using transistors to control a stepper motor allows for precise and efficient control of the motor's movement. It also allows for the motor to be controlled remotely, as transistors can be connected to microcontrollers or other electronic devices.

3. Are there different types of transistors that can be used to control a stepper motor?

Yes, there are different types of transistors that can be used, such as bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs). The type of transistor used will depend on the specific requirements of the stepper motor and the desired control method.

4. Can transistors be used to drive multiple stepper motors at the same time?

Yes, transistors can be used to drive multiple stepper motors at the same time. This can be achieved by using a transistor array, which is a group of transistors that can be controlled simultaneously through a single input signal.

5. Can transistors be used to control other types of motors besides stepper motors?

Yes, transistors can be used to control other types of motors as well, such as DC motors and servo motors. However, the type of transistor and control method may vary depending on the specific motor and its requirements.