Evaluate the improper integral.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of contour integration and differentiation under the integral sign to solve the integral of ln(1+x^2)/(x^2+2x*cos(theta)+1) with theta being a real number. Maple is suggested as a tool to solve the integral, and differentiation under the integral sign is considered as a possible approach. The conversation ends with a question about the function ln(ax^2+1).
mathwizarddud
[tex]\int_0^\infty \; \frac{ \ln\;(1+x^2)}{ x^2+2x\;\cos\;\theta + 1 }\;\;dx[/tex]

[tex]\theta \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Why?

HallsofIvy said:
Why?

Indeed why?

But If you don't know how to do this I think a contour integration is the best approach.

From Maple:

(1/2)*(ln(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1))*ln(I/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I))+ln(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1))*ln(-I/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)-I))+dilog(I/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I))+dilog(-I/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)-I)))/sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)-(1/2)*(ln(cos(theta)+sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1))*ln((-2*sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I)/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I))+ln(cos(theta)+sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1))*ln(-(2*sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I)/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)-I))+dilog((-2*sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I)/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I))+dilog(-(2*sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)+I)/(cos(theta)-sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)-I)))/sqrt(cos(theta)^2-1)

Oh wow, that's a very insightful answer.

Differentiation under the integral sign looks like it'll work here.

Gib Z said:
Differentiation under the integral sign looks like it'll work here.

What function should you take: [tex]\ln(ax^2 +1) [/tex]?

1. What does it mean to evaluate an improper integral?

Evaluating an improper integral means finding the numerical value of the integral, which represents the area under the curve of a function that has an infinite or undefined limit.

2. How is the evaluation of an improper integral different from a regular integral?

The evaluation of an improper integral involves taking the limit of the integral as one or both of the integration bounds approach infinity. This is not necessary for a regular integral, where the integration bounds are finite.

3. What are some common techniques for evaluating improper integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating improper integrals include using the limit definition, using properties of integrals, and breaking the integral into smaller integrals.

4. What are the conditions for an improper integral to converge?

An improper integral converges if the limit of the integral exists, and if the function being integrated approaches a finite value or approaches zero as the integration bounds approach infinity.

5. Can an improper integral have multiple convergence points?

Yes, an improper integral can have multiple convergence points. This means that the integral can converge to different values depending on the chosen integration bounds.