1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the limit of a series with an integral

1. Aug 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{4}{n}\sqrt{\frac{4i}{n}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This seems to give the right answer, 16/3, but I can't figure out why:

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\int_{1}^{n}\frac{4}{n}\sqrt{\frac{4x}{n}}dx[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd rather think that you have to interpret the sum as an approximation to the (Riemann) integral
    [tex]I=\int_0^{4} \mathrm{d} x \sqrt{x},[/tex]
    where the interval is divided in [itex]n[/itex] subintervals of equal size.

4. Aug 9, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is more than just approximating. If you have the function [itex]f(x)= \sqrt{x}[/itex], on the interval [0, 4], the Riemann sum, dividing [0, 4] into n equal subintervals, so that each subinterval has length 4/n and x= 4i/n, gives [tex]\sum{i= 1}^n \frac{4}{n}\sqrt{\frac{4i}{n}}[/tex]. As n goes to infinity, we are dividing the interval into more and more smaller and smaller intervals and the limit is the Riemann integral.

5. Aug 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

vanhees71 said the sum approximates the Riemann integral; you're saying the limit of the sum is the Riemann integral. No contradiction there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted