Evaluate this (improper) integral

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the given integral is the gamma function evaluated at 3/2 and can be solved by showing that it is equal to 1/2 of the gamma function evaluated at 1/2, which is equivalent to the square root of pi. This can be proven by using integration by parts and changing variables to solve the Gaussian integral. It is not possible to write the gamma function in terms of elementary functions, which is why it is given a special name.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Evaluate

∫ x1/2 e-x dx
(This is the gamma function evaluated at 3/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried integration by parts, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried integration by parts too, and it was giving me trouble. So I did some research. The solution I found hopefully is not the only one, since it's a little complicated (in my opinion). Here are the basic steps:

1. Show that [tex]G(\frac{3}{2})=\frac{1}{2}G(\frac{1}{2})[/tex] where G is the gamma function.
(This step is not difficult. Use integration by parts and it follows immediately.)

2. Show that [tex]G(\frac{1}{2})=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex].
To do this, you change variables: let [tex]u=\sqrt{x}[/tex]. After this, you'll see that you have exactly a Gaussian integral (which is where the [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] comes from).

Have you seen a proof / calculation of the Gaussian integral before? If not, there's a really nice proof of it on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

If you haven't seen any of this before, I'm hoping someone else will get a simpler solution for this integral.

The reason the "Gamma" function is given a special name is that it CANNOT be written in terms of elementary functions. If you let u= x1/2, then du= (1/2)x-1/2dx so dx= 2x1/2du. Of course [itex]e^{-x}= e^{-u^2}[/itex] so
[tex]\int_0^\infty x^{1/2}e^x dx= 2\int_0^\infty e^{-u^2}du[/tex]
The Gamma function and Gaussian function are pretty much interchangable.

Here is the standard way of finding the Gaussian integral, which you will find in most (multi-variable) Calculus books.
Let [tex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

(I see now, after all that work, that this is exactly what jjou's link gives!)
Then it is certainly also true that [tex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-y^2}dy[/tex]
Multiplying those:
[tex]I^2= \left(\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx\right)\left(\int_0^\infty e^{-y^2}dy[/tex]
which we can interpret as the double integral
[tex] = \int_{x=0}^\infty \int_{y= 0}^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2}dydx[/itex]
over the first quadrant of the plane. Switching to polar coordinates, that is
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} \int_{r= 0}^\infty e^{-r^2} (r dr d\theta)[/tex]
[tex]= 2\pi \int_{r=0}^\infty e^{-r^2} rdr[/tex]

Now having that "r" in the integrand makes all the difference. Let u= r2 so that du= 2r dr or (1/2)du= r dr. The integral becomes
[tex]2\pi (1/2)\int_{u= 0}^\infty e^{-u}du= -\pi e^{-u}\right|_0^\infty= \pi[/tex]
and, since that was I2,
[tex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Since
[tex]\int_0^\infty x^{1/2}e^{-x}dx= 2\int_0^\infty e^{-u^2}du[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\infty x^{1/2}e^{-x}dx= 2\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

(After all that work I see that this is exactly what the jjou's link gives! Oh, well, consider it confirmation.)

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both limits of integration are infinite or the integrand becomes unbounded at some point within the interval of integration. This means that the area under the curve cannot be calculated using the standard integration techniques.

2. How do I know if an integral is improper?

An integral is considered improper if at least one of the following conditions is met: the lower or upper limit of integration is infinity, the integrand is unbounded within the interval of integration, or the interval of integration is infinite.

3. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, then you can use a variety of techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral. If it is divergent, then the integral is undefined.

4. Can an improper integral have a finite value?

Yes, an improper integral can have a finite value if it is convergent. This means that the area under the curve can still be calculated and has a finite value, even though the standard integration techniques cannot be used.

5. How do I determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral, such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating certain limits and comparing them to known values to determine if the integral converges or diverges.