1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate this (improper) integral

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫ x1/2 e-x dx
    (This is the gamma function evaluated at 3/2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried integration by parts, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for any help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2008 #2
    I tried integration by parts too, and it was giving me trouble. So I did some research. The solution I found hopefully is not the only one, since it's a little complicated (in my opinion). Here are the basic steps:

1. Show that [tex]G(\frac{3}{2})=\frac{1}{2}G(\frac{1}{2})[/tex] where G is the gamma function.
    (This step is not difficult. Use integration by parts and it follows immediately.)

2. Show that [tex]G(\frac{1}{2})=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex].
    To do this, you change variables: let [tex]u=\sqrt{x}[/tex]. After this, you'll see that you have exactly a Gaussian integral (which is where the [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] comes from).

Have you seen a proof / calculation of the Gaussian integral before? If not, there's a really nice proof of it on Wikipedia:

If you haven't seen any of this before, I'm hoping someone else will get a simpler solution for this integral.
  4. Oct 18, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The reason the "Gamma" function is given a special name is that it CANNOT be written in terms of elementary functions. If you let u= x1/2, then du= (1/2)x-1/2dx so dx= 2x1/2du. Of course [itex]e^{-x}= e^{-u^2}[/itex] so
    [tex]\int_0^\infty x^{1/2}e^x dx= 2\int_0^\infty e^{-u^2}du[/tex]
    The Gamma function and Gaussian function are pretty much interchangable.

Here is the standard way of finding the Gaussian integral, which you will find in most (multi-variable) Calculus books.
    Let [tex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

(I see now, after all that work, that this is exactly what jjou's link gives!)
    Then it is certainly also true that [tex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-y^2}dy[/tex]
    Multiplying those:
    [tex]I^2= \left(\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx\right)\left(\int_0^\infty e^{-y^2}dy[/tex]
    which we can interpret as the double integral
    [tex] = \int_{x=0}^\infty \int_{y= 0}^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2}dydx[/itex]
    over the first quadrant of the plane. Switching to polar coordinates, that is
    [tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} \int_{r= 0}^\infty e^{-r^2} (r dr d\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]= 2\pi \int_{r=0}^\infty e^{-r^2} rdr[/tex]

Now having that "r" in the integrand makes all the difference. Let u= r2 so that du= 2r dr or (1/2)du= r dr. The integral becomes
    [tex]2\pi (1/2)\int_{u= 0}^\infty e^{-u}du= -\pi e^{-u}\right|_0^\infty= \pi[/tex]
    and, since that was I2,
    [tex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\infty x^{1/2}e^{-x}dx= 2\int_0^\infty e^{-u^2}du[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\infty x^{1/2}e^{-x}dx= 2\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

(After all that work I see that this is exactly what the jjou's link gives! Oh, well, consider it confirmation.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?