1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral using the gamma function

1. Apr 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to evaluate the following integral: ##\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 (1 - e^{-x}) x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I split the above integral, I get the following ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx - \Gamma (-\frac{1}{2})## = ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx + 2 \sqrt{\pi}##, but that integral doesn't converge, so I'm not sure now what I should do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I haven't done it, but what about taking the power series for ##e^{-x}##, splitting ##x^{-\frac{3}{2}}=x^{-1}\cdot x^{-\frac{1}{2}}## and multiplying ##(1-e^{-x})x^{-1}##?

4. Apr 17, 2017 #3
    If I use the power series of ##e^{-x}##, then what I get is that ##(1-e^{-x})x^{-1} = 1 - \frac{x}{2!} + \frac{x^2}{3!} - \frac{x^3}{4!} + \cdots##, which I don't see to be useful.

Also, one question, if we find that ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx## doesn't converge, why should ##\int^{\infty}_0 (1 - e^{-x}) x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx## converge at all?

5. Apr 17, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you're right. So back to your calculation. Can you show how you ended up at ##\int x^{-\frac{3}{2}}dx -\Gamma(-\frac{1}{2})##?

6. Apr 18, 2017 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral ##\int^{\infty}_0 e^{-x} x^{-3/2} \, dx## is not ## \Gamma (-\frac{1}{2})##. It's divergent. The defining relation ##\int^{\infty}_0 e^{-x} x^{n-1} dx = \Gamma(n)## only holds for ##Re(n) \gt 0##.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted