Evaluate this surface Integral

In summary: The second term is just a projection of the first: \int_{\arctan(b/a)}^{\pi/2} d\phi = r \int_0^{\arctan(b/a)} d\phi So in both cases you're just multiplying by r and then integrating over the sphere. I'm sure it does, if you're not used to changing variables in multidimensional integrals. Did you actually do the calculation?
unscientific

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in the picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

The suggested solution went straight into the hardcore integration. I was trying a different approach by changing the variables (x,y) into (u,v) which appear to make the integration much easier...

The Jacobian was found to be J = p

Not sure where I went wrong!

Attachments

• variable1.jpg
    variable1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 447
  • variable2.jpg
    variable2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get the upper limit for ρ integral? Now you're integrating over a circle, not a rectangle.

clamtrox said:
Where did you get the upper limit for ρ integral? Now you're integrating over a circle, not a rectangle.

Hmm if you draw a rectangle with lengths ab, the p ranges from 0 to maximum of √(a2+b2) which is at the corner.

The angle ranges from 0 to ∏/2..

You cannot set the [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] limits independently. The upper limit on [itex]\rho[/itex] will be a rather complicated function of [itex]\theta[/itex].

unscientific said:
Hmm if you draw a rectangle with lengths ab, the p ranges from 0 to maximum of √(a2+b2) which is at the corner.

The angle ranges from 0 to ∏/2..

This is true, but if you integrate ρ from 0 to √(a2+b2) for each value of the angle, you are integrating over a circle. Actually the calculation is probably a bit simpler anyway in polar coordinates, so you should definitely work it out. The easiest way is to split the angular integral into two parts: consider first [itex] \tan(\theta) < b/a [/itex]. You should be able to find a simple enough expression for the upper bound of ρ in this region.

clamtrox said:
This is true, but if you integrate ρ from 0 to √(a2+b2) for each value of the angle, you are integrating over a circle. Actually the calculation is probably a bit simpler anyway in polar coordinates, so you should definitely work it out. The easiest way is to split the angular integral into two parts: consider first [itex] \tan(\theta) < b/a [/itex]. You should be able to find a simple enough expression for the upper bound of ρ in this region.

Not sure how to do it... I know the limit of ∅ is from 0 to ∏/2 but I don't even know the limits of p..

unscientific said:
Not sure how to do it... I know the limit of ∅ is from 0 to ∏/2 but I don't even know the limits of p..

You need to calculate the distance from the rectangle's corner to an arbitrary point on an opposing edge. Can you do that?

clamtrox said:
You need to calculate the distance from the rectangle's corner to an arbitrary point on an opposing edge. Can you do that?

If tan ∅ < (b/a) then p = a/cos ∅.

If tan ∅ > (b/a) then p = b/sin ∅.

If tan ∅ = (b/a) then p = √a2+b2

Perfect. Those are your integration limits for the radius: now you just need to split the angle integral into
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} d\phi = \int_0^{\arctan(b/a)} d\phi + \int_{\arctan(b/a)}^{\pi/2} d\phi [/tex] plug in the radius limits and integrate.

clamtrox said:
Perfect. Those are your integration limits for the radius: now you just need to split the angle integral into
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} d\phi = \int_0^{\arctan(b/a)} d\phi + \int_{\arctan(b/a)}^{\pi/2} d\phi [/tex] plug in the radius limits and integrate.

Nice. But this really looks more complex than doing it the 'hardcore' way..

unscientific said:
Nice. But this really looks more complex than doing it the 'hardcore' way..

I'm sure it does, if you're not used to changing variables in multidimensional integrals. Did you actually do the calculation? I think you would have found that the integrals you need to compute in spherical coordinates are a lot easier than those in cartesian coordinates. For the first term, you'd get
[tex] \int_0^{\arctan(b/a)} d\phi \int_0^{a/\cos(\phi)} dr \frac{r^2 \cos(\phi)}{r^2} = a \int_0^{\arctan(b/a)} d\phi = a \arctan(b/a) [/tex]

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function over a specified surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface instead of a one-dimensional curve.

What is the difference between a surface integral and a line integral?

While a line integral calculates the total value of a function along a one-dimensional curve, a surface integral calculates the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. This means that a surface integral takes into account both the length and width of the surface, while a line integral only considers the length.

How is a surface integral evaluated?

To evaluate a surface integral, one must first parameterize the surface and then set up the integral using the parameterized variables. This involves breaking the surface into small pieces and integrating the function over each piece. The results are then summed up to find the total value of the surface integral.

What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as electric flux, heat flow, and fluid flow over a surface. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate the amount of light reflected off of a curved surface.

Are there any limitations to using surface integrals?

One limitation of surface integrals is that they can only be used on surfaces that can be parameterized, meaning they can be expressed in terms of variables. This makes it difficult to use surface integrals on irregular or complex surfaces. Additionally, the calculations involved in evaluating surface integrals can be quite complex and time-consuming, making them difficult to use in certain situations.