1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a limit using L'Hopital

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For[tex]Q(x) = x^k + \sum_{n=0}^{k-1} a_n x^n[/tex]

Find [tex]\lim_{x→∞}\left({Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}} - x}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    L'Hopital

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]Q(x) - x^k = \sum_{n=0}^{k-1} a_n x^n[/tex]
    [tex]Q(x) - x^k = (Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}})^k - x^k = \left(Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}} - x\right)\left([Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}}]^{k-1} + x[Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}}]^{k-2} + ... + x^{k-2}Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}} + x^{k-1} \right)[/tex]

[tex]Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}} - x = \frac{Q(x) - x^k}{[Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}}]^{k-1} + x[Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}}]^{k-2} + ... + x^{k-2}Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}} + x^{k-1}}[/tex]

Then [itex]\lim_{x→∞}{\left(Q(x)^{\frac{1}{k}} - x\right)} = \lim_{x→∞}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex], and if I can show [itex]\lim_{x→∞}g(x) = ∞[/itex], I can use L'Hopital.

Am I headed in the right direction? I can see this either working out nicely after a lot of work or being an incredible waste of time. Am I overlooking a simpler way to evaluate this limit?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Try to factor things as follows:

[tex]x^k-Q(x)=x^{k-1}\left(a_{k-1}+\frac{a_{k-2}}{x}+...+\frac{a_0}{x^{k-1}}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex](Q(x)^\frac{1}{k})^{k-1}=x^{k-1}(\sqrt[k]{1+\frac{a_{k-1}}{x}+\frac{a_{k-2}}{x^2}+...+\frac{a_0}{x^{k}}})^{k-1}[/tex]

Try to factor all terms like that and use that things like [itex]\frac{1}{x^p}\rightarrow 0[/itex].

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    Okay, so that will help me show that the limit of the denominator is ∞, but then taking the derivative is going to be a huge pain...

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, you don't need to differentiate anything!!

Do something like this

\begin{align}
    \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{x^3+x}{(\sqrt{x^2+x+1})^3}}
    &= \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} {\frac{ x^3(1+\frac{1}{x^2}) }{ x^3(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}})^3} }\\
    &= \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} {\frac{ 1+\frac{1}{x^2} }{(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}})^3} }\\
    &= 1
    \end{align}

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5
    Oh, okay. The problem hint suggested I use L'Hopital, so I guess I was thinking "in the box" when it came to evaluating the limit.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook