Evaluating $\int \tan^9(x) \sec^4(x) dx$

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, the integral $I_{32}=\int \tan^9\left({x}\right)\sec^4(x) \, dx$ can be evaluated using the identity $\tan^2\left({x}\right)+1=\sec^2\left(x\right)$ and the substitution $u=\tan\left(x\right)$, resulting in the formula $\dfrac{\tan^{12}\left(x\right)}{12}+\dfrac{\tan^{10}\left(x\right)}{10} + C$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\text{206.8.7.32}$
Given and evaluation
$$\displaystyle
I_{32}=\int \tan^9\left({x}\right)\sec^4(x) \, dx
=\dfrac{\tan^{12}\left(x\right)}{12}
+\dfrac{\tan^{10}\left(x\right)}{10} + C$$
use identity $\tan^2\left({x}\right)+1=\sec^2\left(x\right)$
$$u=\tan\left(x\right)
\therefore
du =\sec^{2}\left(x\right) \, dx$$
substitute and integrate
$$\displaystyle
I_{32}=\int u^9\left(u^2+1\right) \, du
☕
\implies \int u^{11}+u^9 \, du
\implies \frac{u^{12}}{u^{12}}+\frac{u^{10}}{10} +C$$
backsubstute $u=\tan\left(x\right) $
$$I_{32}=\dfrac{\tan^{12}\left(x\right)}{12}
+\dfrac{\tan^{10}\left(x\right)}{10} + C $$Ok think I got this one ? Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
With me, it is almost a reflex to change everything to sine and cosine. tan= sine/cosine and secant= 1/cosine so [tex]tan^9(x)sec^4= \frac{sin^9(x)}{cos^9(x)}\frac{1}{cos^4(x)}= \frac{sin^9(x)}{cos^{13}(x)}[/tex]. That has both sin and cosine to an odd power. Since sine is in the numerator, we can factor one sine out, to use with the differential, then change the even power of sine to cosine: [tex]\int \frac{sin^8(x)}{cos^{13}(x)}(sin(x)dx)= \int \frac{(1- cos^2(x))^4}{cos^{13}(x)}(sin(x)dx)[/tex] Now, let u= cos(x) so that du= -sin(x)dx and that becomes [tex]-\int \frac{(1- u^2)^4}{u^{13}}du= -\int \frac{u^8- 4u^6+ 6u^4- 4u^2+ 1}{u^{13}}du= \int -u^{-5}+ 4u^{-7}- 6u^{-9}+4u^{-11}- u^{-13} du[/tex]

I think that's a good idea.
Was looking at this one terms of powers
:cool:

karush said:
$\text{206.8.7.32}$
Given and evaluation
$$\displaystyle
I_{32}=\int \tan^9\left({x}\right)\sec^4(x) \, dx
=\dfrac{\tan^{12}\left(x\right)}{12}
+\dfrac{\tan^{10}\left(x\right)}{10} + C$$
use identity $\tan^2\left({x}\right)+1=\sec^2\left(x\right)$
$$u=\tan\left(x\right)
\therefore
du =\sec^{2}\left(x\right) \, dx$$
substitute and integrate
$$\displaystyle
I_{32}=\int u^9\left(u^2+1\right) \, du
☕
\implies \int u^{11}+u^9 \, du
\implies \frac{u^{12}}{u^{12}}+\frac{u^{10}}{10} +C$$
backsubstute $u=\tan\left(x\right) $
$$I_{32}=\dfrac{\tan^{12}\left(x\right)}{12}
+\dfrac{\tan^{10}\left(x\right)}{10} + C $$Ok think I got this one ? Suggestions?
Good work! Works fine! (Minus the typo - can you spot it)?

typo no see😰

What is the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx?

The integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx is equal to (1/5) * tan^5(x) + C.

How do you solve the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx?

To solve the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx, you can use the substitution method by letting u = tan(x) and du = sec^2(x) dx. This will result in the integral becoming (1/5) * u^5 du, which can then be easily integrated.

Can you use integration by parts to solve the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to solve the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx by letting u = tan^2(x) and dv = sec^4(x) dx. However, this method may result in a more complex solution compared to using the substitution method.

Is there a shortcut or formula for solving the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx?

There is no specific shortcut or formula for solving the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx. However, it can be solved using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

Are there any special cases to consider when solving the integral of tan^2(x) sec^4(x) dx?

One special case to consider is when the integral is in the form of tan^2(x) sec^2(x) sec^2(x) dx. In this case, you can use the identity tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) - 1 to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.