Evaluating integral in terms of Gamma functions

In summary, the Gamma function can be expressed as \Gamma(x) = 0∫∞ tx-1e-t dt and can be used to evaluate integrals with exp(-y^2) by using a change of variable.
arex

Homework Statement

The Gamma function is given by [itex]\Gamma[/itex](x) = 0 tx-1e-t dt

Evaluate 0 exp(-αy2)dy in terms of Gamma functions.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't know where to start. I have knowledge of parametric differentiation (we use alpha as the variable in class which may hint at its usage here) but I don't immediately see how it would help or what it even means to evaluate the integral "in terms of gamma functions."

I'm not just looking for the answer, I'd like a starting hint or tip to get going.

Physics news on Phys.org
arex said:

Homework Statement

The Gamma function is given by [itex]\Gamma[/itex](x) = 0 tx-1e-t dt

Evaluate 0 exp(-αy2)dy in terms of Gamma functions.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't know where to start. I have knowledge of parametric differentiation (we use alpha as the variable in class which may hint at its usage here) but I don't immediately see how it would help or what it even means to evaluate the integral "in terms of gamma functions."

I'm not just looking for the answer, I'd like a starting hint or tip to get going.

You obviously need to find some alternative expression for the Gamma function that involves an integration with exp(-y^2) in it.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You obviously need to find some alternative expression for the Gamma function that involves an integration with exp(-y^2) in it.

RGV

I think arex can work with that definition. Try the change of variable x=ay^2.

1. What is the Gamma function and how is it related to integrating?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function denoted by Γ(z) that extends the concept of factorials to all complex numbers. It is related to integrating because it is used to evaluate integrals involving exponential functions.

2. Can the Gamma function be used to solve any integral?

No, the Gamma function can only be used to solve integrals involving exponential functions. It cannot be used to solve integrals with other types of functions such as trigonometric or polynomial functions.

3. How do you evaluate an integral in terms of Gamma functions?

To evaluate an integral in terms of Gamma functions, you first need to rewrite the integral in terms of the Gamma function. Then, you can use the properties of the Gamma function, such as the multiplication property or the reflection formula, to simplify the integral and solve for the desired value.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Gamma function to evaluate integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Gamma function to evaluate integrals. It can only be used for integrals that converge, and it cannot be used for integrals with infinitely many singularities.

5. Can the Gamma function be used in other areas of science besides mathematics?

Yes, the Gamma function has applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to model various phenomena, including radioactive decay, thermal radiation, and random processes.