Integrating a x^k ln(x) Function with Gamma Function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral -\int^1_0 x^k\ln{x}\,dx using the gamma function. The hint is to rewrite the integral in terms of the gamma function. The conversation explores different substitutions and methods, ultimately leading to the solution using the substitution x=e^{-u/k}. The conversation also clarifies the limits of integration for this substitution.
clandarkfire

Homework Statement

"Show that [tex]- \int^1_0 x^k\ln{x}\,dx = \frac{1}{(k+1)^2} ; k > -1[/tex].

Hint: rewrite as a gamma function.

Homework Equations

Well, I know that [tex]\Gamma \left( x \right) = \int\limits_0^\infty {t^{x - 1} e^{ - t} dt}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried various substitutions, beginning with u=k*ln(x), but I'm not getting very far. To write it as a gamma function, I'd have to change the limits from (0 to 1) to (0 to infinity) and I can't find a way to do that.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder why you should use the [itex]\Gamma[/itex] function for this elementary integral. Perhaps I'm missing something, but if I'm not wrong, it should be pretty easily solvable by integration by parts.

If you are forced to use the [itex]\Gamma[/itex] function, I'd indeed try the substitution
[tex]x=\exp (-u/k),[/tex]
which leads to an integral you can evaluate immediately in terms of the [itex]\Gamma[/itex] function.

Likes 1 person
It does seem pretty straightforward with integration by parts, but since I'm told to use the gamma function, I'd at least like to know how to do that.
If I use the substitution [tex]x=e^{-u/k}[/tex], I get [tex]dx = -k*e^{-u/k}\,du[/tex] The integral then becomes [tex]\int^1_0 e^{-u}*-\frac{u}{k}*-k*e^{-u/k}\,du = \int^1_0 e^{-(u + \frac{u}{k})}u\,du[/tex],
but the problem remains that it's between 0 and 1, not 0 and infinity. How do I get to a gamma function from there?
Thanks!

clandarkfire said:
It does seem pretty straightforward with integration by parts, but since I'm told to use the gamma function, I'd at least like to know how to do that.
If I use the substitution [tex]x=e^{-u/k}[/tex], I get [tex]dx = -k*e^{-u/k}\,du[/tex]

Isn't that a ##\frac {-1} k## instead of ##-k## out in front?

The integral then becomes [tex]\int^1_0 e^{-u}*-\frac{u}{k}*-k*e^{-u/k}\,du = \int^1_0 e^{-(u + \frac{u}{k})}u\,du[/tex],
but the problem remains that it's between 0 and 1, not 0 and infinity. How do I get to a gamma function from there?
Thanks!

If ##x=e^{-u/k}## and ##x## goes from ##0## to ##1##, how do you get ##u## going from ##0## to ##1##?

Ah! That clears it up. Thanks!

1. What is the general form of a x^k ln(x) function?

A x^k ln(x) function has the form f(x) = x^k ln(x), where k is a constant.

2. What is the gamma function?

The gamma function, denoted by Γ(x), is a special function that extends the factorial function to complex numbers. It is defined as an integral from 0 to infinity, and it has applications in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. How can I integrate a x^k ln(x) function with the gamma function?

To integrate a x^k ln(x) function with the gamma function, you can use the following formula:∫x^k ln(x) dx = x^(k+1) [(ln(x)-1)/(k+1)] + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. What are the properties of the gamma function?

The gamma function has several important properties, including:

• It is defined for all complex numbers except for negative integers.
  • It is a continuous, positive, and strictly increasing function.
  • It satisfies the recurrence relation Γ(x+1) = xΓ(x).
  • It has a pole at x=0 and simple poles at x=-1,-2,-3,...

5. What are the applications of integrating a x^k ln(x) function with the gamma function?

The integration of a x^k ln(x) function with the gamma function has applications in various fields, such as probability and statistics, number theory, and physics. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations and evaluating complex integrals.