Evaluating Integrals Using Trigonometric Function Substitutions Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a trigonometric substitution with a reference triangle that has sides equal to zero or close to zero, such as dx or da. An example integral is given, but is deemed invalid. The conversation then explores the use of csc(theta) or sec(theta) with a reference triangle where one leg is 3 and the other is dx.
GreenPrint
Hi,

I just had this idea pop into my head... Can you use a trig sub with a reference triangle who has sides equal to zero? or more like a value close to zero such as dx or da or something?

For example

integral 1/sqrt(9+dx^2) (dx)^2

would have a reference triangle were the hypotenuse is sqrt(9+dx^2)
one of the legs would be 3
the other leg would be dx

you then could express dx/sqrt(9+dx^2) as either csc(theta) or sec(theta) depending on what leg you set 3 be equal to...

integral 1/sqrt(9+dx^2) (dx)^2 = integral csc(theta) dx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I really wounder what can be done if one sets the side of the length of the triangle to dx and try and make a sub some how if that makes any sense

GreenPrint said:
Hi,

I just had this idea pop into my head... Can you use a trig sub with a reference triangle who has sides equal to zero? or more like a value close to zero such as dx or da or something?

For example

integral 1/sqrt(9+dx^2) (dx)^2
This is an invalid integral. You cannot treat the "dx" as if it were a variable.
An integral in x must be of the form [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex].

would have a reference triangle were the hypotenuse is sqrt(9+dx^2)
one of the legs would be 3
the other leg would be dx

you then could express dx/sqrt(9+dx^2) as either csc(theta) or sec(theta) depending on what leg you set 3 be equal to...

integral 1/sqrt(9+dx^2) (dx)^2 = integral csc(theta) dx

1. What is a trigonometric function substitution?

A trigonometric function substitution is a method used in integration to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. This involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral, making it easier to evaluate.

2. When should I use a trigonometric function substitution?

A trigonometric function substitution is most useful when the integrand contains a combination of trigonometric functions, such as sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, or cot. It can also be used when the integrand contains expressions involving a squared trigonometric function.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric function substitution?

The choice of trigonometric function substitution depends on the form of the integral. Some common substitutions include using secant or tangent for integrals involving square roots of the form a2 - x2, and using sine or cosine for integrals involving square roots of the form x2 - a2.

4. Are there any special cases when evaluating integrals using trigonometric function substitutions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. When the integrand contains both an odd power of sine or cosine and an even power of tangent or secant, the substitution u = tan(x/2) can be used. Additionally, when the integrand contains both an odd power of tangent or secant and an even power of sine or cosine, the substitution u = sin(x/2) or u = cos(x/2) can be used.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric function substitutions?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute for all instances of the variable in the integral. It is also important to simplify the integrand as much as possible before attempting the substitution. Another mistake to avoid is using the wrong trigonometric function substitution for the given integral.