1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating integrals with infinity as boundary

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Please take a look at this:

[tex]\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {x \cdot \exp } \left( { - \left| x \right|} \right){\rm{d}}x = \left. {\left( { - \exp \left( { - \left| x \right|} \right) \cdot x} \right)} \right|_{ - \infty }^\infty + \int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\exp \left( { - \left| x \right|} \right){\rm{d}}x}[/tex]

When evaluating with infinity, does the first time equal zero or infinity? I mean does the exponential function "win" (and then the terms goes to zero) or does x win (and the term the n goes to infinity)?

The integral is supposed to equal zero.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would split it into two integrals -infinity to zero (where the integrand is x*exp(x)) and zero to +infinity (where the integrand is x*exp(-x)) just to get rid of the absolute value. Its very tricky to handle otherwise as your failed attempt shows. But you don't really even have to do that. f(x)=x*exp(-|x|) is an odd function (i.e. f(-x)=-f(x)). The integral of an odd function over a symmetric interval around the origin is always zero (if it exists). The plus part cancels the minus part.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    I actually laughed when reading that - you wrote it in a funny way :smile:

The argument with the function being odd is good - but just so I have it in my "toolbox" for later, what would I do when I have to evaluate limits like that? What function "wins"?

Thanks.

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The antiderivative for positive x is F(x)=(-x-1)e^(-x). So for the positive part do F(infinity)-F(0)=0-(-1)=1. (For the infinity part you'll need to take a limit as x -> infinity (-x-1)/e^x, use l'Hopital, you'll find the exponential 'wins' - is that what you mean?). For negative x the antiderivative is F(x)=(x-1)e^(x). F(0)-F(-infinity)=-1-0=-1. Plus and minus parts cancel. Does that help?

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5
    Ahh, l'Hopital [The Hospital Rule, as my teacher used to say] - I had totally forgotten it.

I solved it - thanks!

7. Aug 20, 2008 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

You could also try this.

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty x e^{-|x|} \, dx = \int_{-\infty}^0 x e^{-|x|} \,dx
    +\int_0^\infty x e^{-|x|} \, dx
    [/tex]

Since [tex] x [/tex] is always positive in the second integral, it is simply

[tex]
    \int_0^\infty x e^{-x} \, dx
    [/tex]

In the first integral, since [tex] x [/tex] is always negative,

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^0 x e^{-|x|} \, dx = \int_{-\infty}^0 x e^x \,dx
    [/tex]

Set u = -x; the second integral becomes

[tex]
    \int_{\infty}^0 (-u) e^{-u} \, (-du) = \int_{-\infty}^0 u e^{-u} \, du = -\int_0^\infty u e^{-u} \, du
    [/tex]

The original integral is the sum of these two integrals, and since they are negatives of each other, their sum is zero.
    This is a long use of the fact that the integrand is an odd function of [tex] x [/tex], but the idea of splitting a single integral at zero can be used in other problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?