Evaluating Line Integral: Curl of F and its Relation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Frenchy
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Evaluate the line integral∫F . dr with F = 3(-y,x,0) from (a,0,0) to (a,0,2πb) along a straight line.

2. Do the same along a circular helix between the two points, parameterised as r = (a cosλ, a sinλ, bλ)

3. Compute the curl of F. How does this relate to the two integral calculations above?

I know Curl = \nabla x F

My notes on this don't seem to be that great, and I'm just completely lost, tbh.

Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It should seem obvious that, since there is no force applied in the z in the first one, no work is done. From experience, I know that it is again zero in part 2. What do you get for the curl? Solving for it should show you tell you something important.