1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating surface integral (solving for unknown variables)

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    The solutions have came up with 5 equations, I'm not confused how they got those 5 equations but I dont understand how it was concluded that L = 0 and m = p = 1/√2.

Attached Files:

• QQ.jpg
      QQ.jpg
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They massaged the equations somehow, who knows? The obvious way to work that problem is to get a normal vector by crossing the vectors along two adjacent sides. (Unless you see how to write the equation of the plane by inspection).

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    Nevermind, I figured it out.. But if someone has a better way please let me know.
    This is my solution.
    Lx + my + pz = 2p
    Lx + my + pz = 2L + 2p
    Lx + my + pz = 2L + 2m
    Lx + my + pz = 2m
    L^2 + m^2 + p^2 = 1

Then I looked at the right side of the first four equations and noticed they are all satisfied only if L = 0...
    However I know this solution probably won't work for more difficult problems...
    So please someone post a better solution

5. Jan 31, 2014 #4
    Dang why didn't I think of that.. that's the easiest solution... just cross two vectors.. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted