Evaluating the area under a curve

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary: It is easy to see that both expressions ##y^2 + 2xy - 40x - 400=0## and ##y^2 + 2xy + 40x - 400=0## can be written as difference of two squares. ##(y^2 + 2xy +x^2) -(x^2\pm40x+400)=0##.Upon factorizing, any of the factors can be zero, which means four linear functions, enclosing a parallelogram.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The graph of ##y^2 + 2xy + 40 \mid x \mid =400## divides the plane into regions. The area of the bounded region is?

Homework Equations

All relevant to calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is how to predict the graph without using a grapher here? I put x and y=0 to find the points where it cuts the axes (0,+-20) and (+-10,0). but I never could have guessed what it looks like without a computer (like in my exams)

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

The graph of ##y^2 + 2xy + 40 \mid x \mid =400## divides the plane into regions. The area of the bounded region is?

Homework Equations

All relevant to calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is how to predict the graph without using a grapher here?
Split the equation into two parts: one equation in which x < 0 (resulting in ##y^2 + 2xy - 40x = 400##) and the other in which x >= 0 (resulting in ##y^2 + 2xy + 40x = 400##).
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I put x and y=0 to find the points where it cuts the axes (0,+-20) and (+-10,0). but I never could have guessed what it looks like without a computer (like in my exams)

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Mark44 said:
Split the equation into two parts: one equation in which x < 0 (resulting in ##y^2 + 2xy - 40x = 400##) and the other in which x >= 0 (resulting in ##y^2 + 2xy + 40x = 400##).
That problem seems pretty tricky for an in class exam type question. It's easy enough to tell that the graph of each of these is a hyperbola by checking its discriminant. What isn't immediately obvious from either of these equations is that the hyperbolas are degenerate, meaning the graphs are actually the intersecting asymptotes of the would be hyperbolas. And given that they are translated and rotated from the "standard" equations, without a grapher of some sort it would take some significant time to work through the algebra and deduce that the two sections combine to give a parallelogram shaped region.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
LCKurtz said:
That problem seems pretty tricky for an in class exam type question. It's easy enough to tell that the graph of each of these is a hyperbola by checking its discriminant. What isn't immediately obvious from either of these equations is that the hyperbolas are degenerate, meaning the graphs are actually the intersecting asymptotes of the would be hyperbolas. And given that they are translated and rotated from the "standard" equations, without a grapher of some sort it would take some significant time to work through the algebra and deduce that the two sections combine to give a parallelogram shaped region.
It is easy to see that both expressions ##y^2 + 2xy - 40x - 400=0## and ##y^2 + 2xy + 40x - 400=0## can be written as difference of two squares. ##(y^2 + 2xy +x^2) -(x^2\pm40x+400)=0##.
Upon factorizing, any of the factors can be zero, which means four linear functions, enclosing a parallelogram.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Mark44 said:
I worked that out, its the part that follows which is difficult

LCKurtz said:
That's high school in India...especially if you want to get into some of the best grad schools here, millions of students pay thousands of dollars to get tuition to learn 2 years worth of an engineering degree while still in the last year of school.
I figured this is a hyperbola, but as you said I need some insight to predict their shape

ehild said:
It is easy to see that both expressions ##y^2 + 2xy - 40x - 400=0## and ##y^2 + 2xy + 40x - 400=0## can be written as difference of two squares. ##(y^2 + 2xy +x^2) -(x^2\pm40x+400)=0##.
Upon factorizing, any of the factors can be zero, which means four linear functions, enclosing a parallelogram.
This is the most helpful insight I think, how did this occur to you so easily? and how can I develop this sort of intuition?

I think there must be an easier way to evaluate the area using calculus since this problem is given under calculating areas through integrals section of my textbook

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
This is the most helpful insight I think, how did this occur to you so easily? and how can I develop this sort of intuition?
about 70 years practice :smile:

ehild said:
Also, how can we figure out either these 4 functions or the vertices of the parallelogram? calculating the area without them isn't possible

ehild said:
about 70 years practice :smile:
hahaha, doesn't seem achievable before my entrance exams.:confused:

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Also, how can we figure out either these 4 functions or the vertices of the parallelogram? calculating the area without them isn't possible
Have you found the two square expressions?
y2+2xy+x2 is the square of?
x2±40x+400 is the square of?
How to factorize the difference of two squares ? a2-b2=?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
hahaha, doesn't seem achievable before my entrance exams.:confused:
I guess you had better hurry! :oldsmile:
Good catch ehild. I didn't notice that. It's always "easy" after you see it. :oldconfused:

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
ehild said:
Have you found the two square expressions?
y2+2xy+x2 is the square of?
x2±40x+400 is the square of?
How to factorize the difference of two squares ? a2-b2=?
yes I did factorize it but I didn't see that its in the form a^2-b^2 (I'm half asleep right now...)
thank you very much for your help everyone :D
@LCKurtz I'll tell you if I won that race when my exams come, I'll have learned a lot regardless though

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
yes I did factorize it but I didn't see that its in the form a^2-b^2 (I'm half asleep right now...)
thank you very much for your help everyone :D
@LCKurtz I'll tell you if I won that race when my exams come, I'll have learned a lot regardless though
Try to stay awake. You got (x+y)^2-(x±20)^2, did you not? a=x+y, b=x±20. Now factorize, what do you get?
The product is zero, so one factor has to be zero. That means 4 equations, 4 straight lines.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
ehild said:
Try to stay awake. You got (x+y)^2-(x±20)^2, did you not? a=x+y, b=x±20. Now factorize, what do you get?
The product is zero, so one factor has to be zero. That means 4 equations, 4 straight lines.
yes yes, I noted that right away after you hinted at it. I got 2x+y+20, 2x+y-20, y+20 and y-20 and drew the graph right away
:D

The area is 800 sq. units. Deemed correct by my textbook too.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
The area is 800 sq. units. Deemed correct by my textbook too.
It was very easy, wasn't it? :smile:

ehild said:
It was very easy, wasn't it? :smile:
yes, it really was.
Initially maths was one of my least favorite subjects since I always got stuck on problems like these and the education system here dictates that either the teachers pay attention only to those students who are super-smart and have the ability to score national ranks or do it just as a boring job- considering this, no one had the time or patience to point out simple things such as a^2-b^2 to me.
Now I really enjoy it and am improving, thanks to people like you :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
yes, it really was.
Initially maths was one of my least favorite subjects since I always got stuck on problems like these and the education system here dictates that either the teachers pay attention only to those students who are super-smart and have the ability to score national ranks or do it just as a boring job- considering this, no one had the time or patience to point out simple things such as a^2-b^2 to me.
Now I really enjoy it and am improving, thanks to people like you :D

You also could have used the quadratic formula to solve ##y^2 + 2xy \pm 40x - 400=0## equation for y.
Do not forget: Maths is fun! But you need to practice. :smile:

ehild said:
You also could have used the quadratic formula to solve ##y^2 + 2xy \pm 40x - 400=0## equation for y.
Do not forget: Maths is fun! But you need to practice. :smile:
did it just to check, got the same answer, thank you :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
did it just to check, got the same answer, thank you :D
Well done!

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
ehild said:
Well done!
Thank you:smile::smile:

@Krushnaraj Pandya: Just curious, once you got the parallelogram did you use calculus to find its area or something simpler like vector cross product?

LCKurtz said:
@Krushnaraj Pandya: Just curious, once you got the parallelogram did you use calculus to find its area or something simpler like vector cross product?
simple 2d geometry, the parallelogram was pretty easy to draw and it had symmetry- besides, vectors is still the next chapter (although I know what a cross product is basically, I don't know how it can be used to calculate area of a 2d figure) and there was no need of calculus

What is the area under a curve?

The area under a curve is a mathematical concept that represents the total area between a curve and the x-axis on a graph.

Why is evaluating the area under a curve important?

Evaluating the area under a curve allows us to find the total accumulation or total change of a variable over a given interval. This can be useful in many fields of science, such as physics, economics, and biology.

How is the area under a curve calculated?

The area under a curve is typically calculated using the integral calculus method. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the interval.

What are some real-world applications of evaluating the area under a curve?

Evaluating the area under a curve is used in many real-world scenarios, such as calculating work done by a force in physics, finding the total revenue or profit in economics, and measuring the growth of a population in biology.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating the area under a curve?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the units when calculating the area. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are correctly set for the specific problem. It is also important to check for any discontinuities or singular points in the function that may affect the calculation.