Evaluating Volume of Curved Wedge Cut from Cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
PhilthyPhil
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Trying to do this question: 'Evaluate the volume of the following solids... A curved wedge that is cut from a cylinder of radius 3m by two planes. One plane is perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. The other plane crosses the first plane at 45 degree angle at the centre of the cylinder.'

My problem is that I am not sure what the question is asking... does it just mean a sector? In which case it would just be 9/8*Pi*length or is it something else?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's the volume enclosed by the cylinder and the two planes. There are two encosed volumes, but they have equal shapes.

I'd take the cylinder [itex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/itex] and the xy-plane. You pick the other plane. And draw a picture ofcourse.