Average-terminal-speed of cut-cylinder rolling down a plane

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder with a section cut out and its subsequent behavior on an inclined plane. The solution involves finding the maximum speed of the center of mass of the cylinder, taking into account factors such as kinetic energy lost in collisions and the assumption that the cylinder does not slip or bounce. The final equation for the maximum speed includes variables such as the radius, angle of inclination, and angle of the cut section, and assumes a small angle for accuracy.
Nathanael
Homework Helper
I read this problem in a "book" in my dreams :sleep:so I want to make sure the problem and my solution are not flawed.
(I modified it a bit when I woke up; you know how dreams can be o0))

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius R has a section of angle Φ cut out as shown. After cutting this piece out, the mass is M.
The rotational inertia is then measured to be ##\beta MR^2##.
If the cylinder is now placed on an inclined plane of angle θ with the horizontal, then the center of mass may approach an average-terminal-speed.
(Averaged over a total cycle, i.e. when the cylinder turns 2pi*n radians about it's center; where n is an integer.)
Once this average-terminal-speed is obtained, find the maximum speed of the center of mass of the cylinder.

Assume the cylinder does not slip.
Assume the cylinder does not bounce.
Assume that after cutting the cylinder, the center of mass lies in the geometrical center of the uncut cylinder.

dreamproblem.png
2. General idea for the solution
kinetic energy lost in collision = kinetic energy gained in rolling down the plane

The Attempt at a Solution

If the CoM speed is too large, more energy will be lost in the collision than is gained from gravity, and the cylinder will slow down.
Similarly, if the CoM speed is too small, it will gain more energy than it loses and speed up.
So the speed will always approach an average-terminal-speed. (Correct?)

Now let us assume this average-terminal-speed is obtained.
When the corner is just about to touch down (as shown in the image) the velocity of the center of mass (call it V0 at that point) will be greatest (which we want to find) and it will be in a direction Φ/2 below the (down-hill) direction of the plane (because it is rotating about the other corner). Since the cylinder doesn't bounce, all velocity perpendicular to the plane will be lost, leaving a final velocity of V0cos(Φ/2) after the collision.

The energy before the collision: ##0.5M(V_0^2+\beta R^2 \omega^2)=0.5MV_0^2(1+\beta)##
The energy after the collision: ##0.5MV_0^2\cos^2(\frac{\phi}{2})(1+\beta)##

The energy lost: ##0.5MV_0^2(1+\beta)\big(1-\cos^2(\frac{\phi}{2})\big)##By the time it gets back to the position in the picture, it will have traveled a distance 2πR down the plane, gaining a kinetic energy of 2πR*sin(θ)*MgEquating the previous two expressions we get: ##V_0 = \sqrt{ \frac{4\pi Rg\sin(\theta)}{(1+\beta)\big(1-\cos^2(\frac{\phi}{2})\big)} }##Is this a valid problem/solution?
(Anything I unconsciously assumed?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I just realized a mistake. The velocity after the collision won't be V0cos(Φ/2) is will be V0cos(Φ) because if it is to not slip then it will pivot about the next corner and so it's velocity initially after the collision will be in a direction Φ/2 above the down-hill-direction of the plane.

So just replace "Φ/2" with "Φ" in my final equation, and that is my new answer.

Nathanael said:
I think I just realized a mistake. The velocity after the collision won't be V0cos(Φ/2) is will be V0cos(Φ) because if it is to not slip then it will pivot about the next corner and so it's velocity initially after the collision will be in a direction Φ/2 above the down-hill-direction of the plane.

So just replace "Φ/2" with "Φ" in my final equation, and that is my new answer.
I agree with this revised calculation.
You are assuming phi is small, or the distance rolled is a little less.

Likes Nathanael
haruspex said:
You are assuming phi is small, or the distance rolled is a little less.
Ahh, good point. The displacement of the CoM will not be 2πR; it will be (2π-Φ+2sin(Φ/2))R ... so 2πR is only accurate for small Φ.
Nice catch, thanks.

1. What is the average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder rolling down a plane?

The average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder rolling down a plane is determined by the height and angle of the plane, as well as the mass and shape of the cylinder.

2. How is the average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder calculated?

The average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder can be calculated using the equation: V = √(2gh/3) where V is the average terminal speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the plane.

3. Does the mass of the cut-cylinder affect its average terminal speed?

Yes, the mass of the cut-cylinder does affect its average terminal speed. The heavier the cylinder, the faster it will roll down the plane.

4. How does the angle of the plane affect the average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder?

The angle of the plane has a significant impact on the average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder. The steeper the plane, the faster the cylinder will roll down and reach its terminal speed.

5. What is the role of friction in determining the average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the average terminal speed of a cut-cylinder. Friction between the cylinder and the plane will slow down the cylinder's speed, while friction between the cylinder and the air will help maintain its speed.