1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluation of fugacity (Chemical Engineering)

1. Nov 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was revising the topic on the evaluation of fugacity of liquids and gases for my chemical engineering course, when I ran into an equation which I think, may be wrong as I think it may evaluate to ln0, which is infinity.

Here is a snapshot of the equation:

vo23w7.jpg

The equation in question is the integral just above the words "GRAPHICAL INTEGRATION".

May I know if the equation is erroneous?

Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

NIL

3. The attempt at a solution
    NIL

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

Have you looked through your textbook? It would be in Chapter 11 of Smith, Van Ness, and Abbott if I am not mistaken

4. Nov 20, 2014 #3
    Hi Maylis. I think my friend got his answer already~ :) He said something about using the table, and that the Z thingy is a function of Pr. Haha. Is he correct? I don't have the textbook, perhaps I can ask him to borrow it at the library. :)

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

He may be speaking about the Lee-Kesler correlations, which are found in tables in the same textbook mentioned. Those tables require the use of double interpolation, so be methodical when using them to find the compressibility factor, Z.

6. Nov 20, 2014 #5
    I see. Yupp, my friend said he has understood the concept. :) Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted