Evaluation of fugacity (Chemical Engineering)

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about a potentially erroneous equation related to the evaluation of fugacity in a chemical engineering course. The equation in question was found in a textbook and the solution may involve using a table and the Lee-Kesler correlations. The conversation ended with the clarification that the concept was understood.
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

I was revising the topic on the evaluation of fugacity of liquids and gases for my chemical engineering course, when I ran into an equation which I think, may be wrong as I think it may evaluate to ln0, which is infinity.

Here is a snapshot of the equation:

vo23w7.jpg

The equation in question is the integral just above the words "GRAPHICAL INTEGRATION".

May I know if the equation is erroneous?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

NIL

The Attempt at a Solution

NIL

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked through your textbook? It would be in Chapter 11 of Smith, Van Ness, and Abbott if I am not mistaken

Maylis said:
Have you looked through your textbook? It would be in Chapter 11 of Smith, Van Ness, and Abbott if I am not mistaken

Hi Maylis. I think my friend got his answer already~ :) He said something about using the table, and that the Z thingy is a function of Pr. Haha. Is he correct? I don't have the textbook, perhaps I can ask him to borrow it at the library. :)

He may be speaking about the Lee-Kesler correlations, which are found in tables in the same textbook mentioned. Those tables require the use of double interpolation, so be methodical when using them to find the compressibility factor, Z.

Maylis said:
He may be speaking about the Lee-Kesler correlations, which are found in tables in the same textbook mentioned. Those tables require the use of double interpolation, so be methodical when using them to find the compressibility factor, Z.

I see. Yupp, my friend said he has understood the concept. :) Thanks!

1. What is fugacity and why is it important in chemical engineering?

Fugacity is a thermodynamic concept that measures the tendency of a substance to escape or leave a system. In chemical engineering, it is important because it helps to determine the behavior of chemicals in different environments and can be used to predict their movement and distribution.

2. How is fugacity calculated?

Fugacity is calculated using the fugacity coefficient, which takes into account the pressure, temperature, and composition of a substance. This coefficient is then multiplied by the pressure of the system to obtain the fugacity.

3. What is the difference between fugacity and pressure?

Fugacity and pressure are related but distinct concepts. Pressure is a measure of the force exerted by a substance on the walls of its container, while fugacity is a measure of the tendency of a substance to escape from the system. Fugacity takes into account factors such as temperature and composition, while pressure does not.

4. How is fugacity used in environmental engineering?

In environmental engineering, fugacity is used to model the movement and distribution of chemicals in the environment. By considering the fugacity of a substance in different environmental compartments, such as air, water, and soil, engineers can predict its behavior and potential impact on the environment.

5. Can fugacity be measured experimentally?

Yes, fugacity can be measured experimentally using specialized equipment such as a fugacity cell or a gas chromatograph. These methods involve measuring the pressure and temperature of a substance and using them to calculate the fugacity coefficient, which can then be used to determine the fugacity.