1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series: Stamping Machine Positioning Function

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    9c14af2b05.png

2. Relevant equations
    All Fourier series trigonometric equations. I think we are required to use sigma function, integrals, etc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are currently working through our Fourier series revision studying integrals of periodic functions within K.A. Stroud's book, Advanced Engineering Mathematics. However, we cannot fathom how to convert the above equation into the sigma notation or even start the fourier transform. Any indication on what we need to look at would be a massive help. Obviously I don't want this completed for me, just an idea would really help to bounce some ideas from.

As a side note, I'm fairly new to this forum and haven't used this account in a long time so if I breach any rules etc I do apologise!

Many thanks,
    Brad

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you've got the definition of the fourier series as one of your relevant equations (can't check -- you don't post them). The idea is that you let that loose on the given function :smile:

Must say I find this a weird exercise (didn't find the term 'Fourier' in 5th ed ?) since the given function is a rather rough approximation for the movement of the slide block.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Moderator note:

Hi bradzyc, I found your thread title to be too generic so I changed it to "Fourier Series: Stamping Machine Positioning Function" to make it more specific and descriptive of the problem.

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4
    Hi, any thanks for the response. The actual problem we're having is converting the x(t) = r(1-cos(t-psi)) as the trigonometric Fourier series. We can use the matlab simulations etc but the first conversion is our issue.

Many thanks,
    Brad

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5
    Not a problem, many thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted