Even Potential Energy Function

In summary, when V(x) is even, the time independent wave function can be taken to be either even or odd. The solutions to the TISE will also be symmetric or anti-symmetric around the origin. The solution is only unique up to an overall phase, and in the anti-symmetric solution, the probabilty distribution will be a non-negative symmetric function, resulting in an expectation position of zero.
FourierX

Homework Statement

Its a problem from a foreign book. It sounded simple to me but I am confused now.

If V(x), a potential energy function, is known to be an even function, what can you say about wave function for any stationary state? What shall be the expectation value of x for any stationary state ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I grabbed a book by Griffith from my library and figured that if V(x) is even, the time independent wave function can be taken to be either even or odd. I know that expectation value of x for a stationary state has to be 0. But can some help me see this with the standpoint of V(x) being even ?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
V(x) is even, so it is symmetric around the origin

the solutions to TISE will be either symmetric or anti-symmetric around the origin

note if [tex] \psi [/tex] is a solution, so will [tex] e^{i \phi}\psi [/tex] for any phi, ie the solution is only unique upto an overall phase

so in the anti-symmetric solution, there is no meaning in one side being negtive and teh other positive positive, as it is equivalent to any solution with phase shifted by phi. the only point is that they are out of phase by p.

when you look at the probabilty distribution given by
[tex] P(r)dr = \psi \psi* [/tex]
the overall phase cancels and P(r)dr will be a non-negative symmetric function, thus the expectation position will be zero

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration. It is a form of stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. What is an even potential energy function?

An even potential energy function is a mathematical representation of the potential energy of a system that remains constant for all even positions of the system. This means that the potential energy of the system is symmetrical about its equilibrium position.

3. What are some examples of systems with even potential energy functions?

Some examples of systems with even potential energy functions include a mass on a spring, a pendulum, and a planet in orbit around a star. In each of these systems, the potential energy remains constant at even positions, such as the equilibrium position or the highest point of the swing.

4. How is potential energy related to force?

According to the principle of conservation of energy, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. This conversion is achieved through the action of a force. The force acting on an object is directly related to its potential energy, with the potential energy increasing as the force acts in the direction of motion.

5. What is the significance of an even potential energy function in physics?

An even potential energy function is significant in physics because it allows for the simplification of mathematical calculations and provides insight into the behavior of physical systems. It also helps in understanding the relationship between potential energy and force, which is essential for analyzing the motion and stability of objects in various systems.