1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Every interior point of 'the closure of S' is in Int S?

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be a set in R^n, is it true that every interior point of 'the closure of S' is in Int S? Justify.

2. Relevant theorem

S^int = {x belongs to S: B(r,x) belongs to S for some r>0}
    The closure of S is the union of S and all its bdary points.

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer is yes, but I am not sure how to give a proof, anyone can give a counterexample?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    It can happen that [tex]\textrm{int}(S)=\emptyset[/tex] while on the other hand [tex]\textrm{int}(\overline{S})\neq\emptyset[/tex].

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

hi jostpuur, thx for your reply, but when the first case happens, how can the second one happens like that?
    I dont quite get it, can you explain it a little bit more?

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    If S doesn't have interior, it doesn't necessarily mean that S is somehow "thin" (like n-k dimensional manifold in n dimensional space, with k > 0), but S can also be "filling" all n dimensions in the space, but on the other hand being "infinitely full of holes" so that interior doesn't exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?