Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolution Less Accepted in U.S. Than Other Western Countries, Study Finds

1. Aug 12, 2006 #1
    National Geographic

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2
    So I guess there's no downside to rejecting the notion that human beings share common ancestors with other species.

4. Aug 12, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on what study?

5. Aug 12, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, like there is no downside to rejecting the fact that the earth is round or truth in general. No, no downside at all to being abysmally stupid.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  6. Aug 13, 2006 #5
    Hardly a shock since something like 96% of US citizens are religous, might as well of had a pole asking if the US was a country in North America? Would of been more revealing, and anyone who got it wrong could be weeded out of the population by "natural" selection i.e. thrown to the lions.:smile:

7. Aug 13, 2006 #6
    a better question would have been where are canada and mexico relative to US. or what are the 12-13 provinces of canada. Love those types of questions on jeopardy

8. Aug 13, 2006 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many provinces?!

9. Aug 13, 2006 #8

jtbell

I count either 10 or 13, depending on whether you include the territories:

Newfoundland (& Labrador)
    Nova Scotia
    PEI
    New Brunswick
    Quebec
    Ontario
    Manitoba
    Saskatchewan
    Alberta
    British Columbia
    NW Territory
    Yukon Territory
    Nunavut (territory)

Aside: Does your browser support the Inuktitut language?

http://www.gov.nu.ca/inuktitut/ :bugeye:

It works for me in Foxfire 1.5.0.2 (MacOS).

10. Aug 13, 2006 #9
    Wrong Quebec isn't part of Canada :wink::smile:

11. Aug 13, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Well at least they (or some) try not to be. :rofl:

12. Aug 13, 2006 #11
    Lots of countries are more religious than the US. I don't think that alone means much at all.

13. Aug 13, 2006 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not among the "other western nations" that were considered in the study. The US is WAY more religious than the countries of Western Europe. This includes famous Catholic countries like Ireland, Poland, and even Italy.

14. Aug 13, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And much of it is not just any religion, it's fundamentalism.

I've spent a lot of time in the South in recent years: Scary stuff!!!

15. Aug 13, 2006 #14
    Well in order to prove this assumption you would have to show that countries that are secular have no difference in their belief or disbelief in creationism between more religous countries, and frankly It would take a lot of internet searching, I'm not sure you'd find much because the US is the only country that cares enough about the issue to produce figures about this topic, and that I'd say is precisely because of fundementalist lobbyists.

However what I can say is that the loudest voices on the creationism debate are US citizens and they are fundementalist in the main. So this deep rooted religous backbone to the US I would say is very relevant. Unless you can show me why religion isn't an important factor in deciding whether you believe in Evolution or something else, considering the only other theories come from religion; Creationism, ID, Budhism and Hinduism, and Vodon and Celtic mysticism(or druidism) Etc, etc, etc. all have creation myths.

AAMOI I wonder what Muslims believe?

16. Aug 13, 2006 #15

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Tain't religion --- it's "self-esteem" and "outcome based education."

17. Aug 13, 2006 #16
    I've spoken to many so called bible thumpers, who accept the bible as the literal truth of creation.

I think the reason they accept this is that it is static - the ideas of science are constantly in revision - as if that's a BAD thing.

I think the problem has multiple roots. The first being tradition. Many people in this country are religious, and as children don't want to be ostracized from their social group so they pile in rank and file to the creationism camp.

Later on in life they are failed by the public school system that does not require science education in the later years of high school. Evidence is evidence in so far as it does not contradict the all mighty book of genesis.

This lack of education (specifically on the fundamentals of the scientific method) leads students to accept all sorts of straw man arguments about evolution (ie we evolved from apes) to the point where any rational person would have to reject "evolution" (read: straw man arguments not the actual theory).

As an aside - off topic - students in america are also not capable of digesting relatively complex economics. This is why we fall prey to the demogoguery of "tax the big oil companies! they make too much money!". Take 10 high school graduates and ask them the difference between profit and profit margin and I'm willing to bet 10 of them cannot.

18. Aug 13, 2006 #17

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=237

Few abortion clinics, might throw Ok. C. into the category, few other incidents that are a little tough to account for motive-wise --- killing each other over cartoons in Danish newspapers? No. Dancing in the streets over the '04 Xmas quake & tsunami? No. Wearing ski masks, kidnapping, extortion, pushing people in wheel chairs overboard from cruise ships? No.

'Nuff with the off-topic hijack attempt --- 20-30% of the population attends church regularly (whatever that means), and what fraction are "fundamentalist" to the point of literal interpretation of Genesis --- we'll go with half (fewer than 10% if I've read religious demographics correctly), and that accounts for the ignorance of 15% of the total population. Still gotta come up with another 35% to match the NG figure --- might be a "geriatric" pop. fraction in there (age and impending mortality affect some peoples' views), prison evangelism --- doubt it's any more effective than other rehabilitations --- and ain't gonna pick up more than tenths of a percent, what else? Public schools: pass 'em on; less is more; whole language; outcome based; respect other peoples' opinions (even when they're totally wrong); never trust your own judgment, but find an "authority" to help you make decisions; group-think; the whole, "touchy-feely," socially engineered nine yards.

19. Aug 13, 2006 #18
    By religous I mean believe in God. I supose I should of made that clear. For example My mother is deeply religous but has never attended church other than for marriages, christenings etc. Interesting we have a high proportion of liars here in the UK, thanks for the info :smile:

On topic it does throw up the question of are these people simply trying to fit in or do they really disbelieve Evolution? Be fair at least Ptabor has remained on topic and posed a very interesting question, which I have gratuitously almost plageurised.

20. Aug 13, 2006 #19

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

$64k question. Near's I can tell, the poll gave three options, "believe, disbelieve, and don't know;" run three no-name candidates for some insignificant public office in this country, and you'll get the same "tri-"furcated vote breakdown --- people pick one answer at random --- the "dunnos" (ca. 20%) times 3 is my estimate of "random" responses; means true "believers" are 28 - 20, or 8%, true "disbelievers" are 52 - 20, or 32% --- still scary, but a little closer to church membership and attendance. Other national results? How many people are answering to "go along with the crowd," official positions, because they feel a certain answer is expected? Tough poll to interpret.

21. Aug 14, 2006 #20
    Mmm interesting do they give a +- statistical error value? I know they do that with political poles, I believe it's 2.5%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?