Evolutionary Biology: Olivia Judson's NY Times Op-Ed

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, very good pep-piece for us pro-evolutionists. All those interesting critters are fun to read about.
 
We're just going to start this discussion over without including pseudoscience or conspiracy theories.
 
Oooh, I like that. Back to the actual op ed piece. :smile:
 
Evo said:
Great op-ed piece in the New York Times by evolutionary biologist Olivia Judson. Just thought this was a good read considering how many threads on evolution have been started recently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/o...fc602a15e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
Great article, Evo!

the Indus River dolphin doesn't sleep as you or I do, or indeed as most mammals, for several hours at once. Instead, it takes microsleeps, naps that last for a few seconds, like a driver dozing at the wheel.
I wish I could do that!

and

More than that, I find that in viewing ourselves as one species out of hundreds of millions, we become more remarkable, not less so. No other animal that I have heard of can live so peaceably in such close quarters with so many individuals that are unrelated. No other animal routinely bothers to help the sick and the dying, or tries to save those hurt in an earthquake or flood.

Which is not to say that we are all we might wish to be. But in putting ourselves into our place in nature, in comparing ourselves with other species, we have a real hope of reaching a better understanding, and appreciation, of ourselves.
Surely we can be better as a species.