New stem cell isolation protocol

In summary, biologists have developed a technique for establishing colonies of human embryonic stem cells without destroying the embryo, which could remove the main objection to this research. This news may not help the political debate, but according to Dr. Robert Lanza, there is no rational reason left to oppose it. It is also noted that a healthy woman does not have any embryos, only ova, and she may have around 1-2 million folicles at birth with only 400 maturing to become ova.
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Stem Cell News Could Intensify Political Debate

Biologists have developed a technique for establishing colonies of human embryonic stem cells from an early human embryo without destroying it. This method, if confirmed in other laboratories, would seem to remove the principal objection to the research.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/24/s...rss&adxnnlx=1156554793-b82hPYSiVvSMmyaDSW1cDA

Good news but I am afraid it will not help the political debate

Biology news on Phys.org
That is indeed good news. The objection seemed to stem from the principle that since you could not know when life began, that killing an embryo could be equated to "murder" has been neatly sidestepped by this. Are you suggesting though that this is not enough to ease the concerns of the religous conservatives?

“There is no rational reason left to oppose this research,” Dr. Robert Lanza, vice president of Advanced Cell Technology and leader of the research team.

In my opinion there was no rational reason to oppose this research in the first place whether the Embryo died or not. But then I'm not a Christian, although I respect their right to object if not their reasoning.

As a matter of interest just how many embryos are there in a healthy woman?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
As a matter of interest just how many embryos are there in a healthy woman?
None. Unless she is also pregnant.

My bad, I mean how many ova are there in a woman. Thanks for the clarification, I was on serious mind altering drugs when I wrote that :wink: :smile:

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
My bad, I mean how many ova are there in a woman. Thanks for the clarification, I was on serious mind altering drugs when I wrote that :wink: :smile:
Oh, that's different :rofl: :wink:
AFAIK somewhere around 1 or 2 million folicles at birth. Perhaps 400 or so mature to be ova.

1. What is a stem cell isolation protocol?

A stem cell isolation protocol is a set of procedures used to isolate and extract stem cells from a tissue or cell source. It involves breaking down the tissue or cell source and separating the stem cells from other cell types.

2. How is the new stem cell isolation protocol different from previous methods?

The new stem cell isolation protocol uses advanced techniques and technologies to improve the efficiency and purity of stem cell isolation. It may also involve the use of new markers or methods to identify and isolate specific types of stem cells.

3. What are the potential benefits of the new stem cell isolation protocol?

The new stem cell isolation protocol may offer several potential benefits, such as a higher yield of stem cells, improved purity, and a faster and more efficient isolation process. It may also reduce the risk of contamination and damage to the stem cells.

4. What types of stem cells can be isolated using the new protocol?

The new stem cell isolation protocol can potentially isolate various types of stem cells, including embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells, and induced pluripotent stem cells. The specific type of stem cells that can be isolated will depend on the tissue or cell source used.

5. How can the new stem cell isolation protocol contribute to scientific research?

The new stem cell isolation protocol can provide researchers with a more reliable and consistent method for isolating stem cells, which can improve the accuracy and reproducibility of their experiments. It may also enable the isolation of specific types of stem cells that were previously difficult to obtain, allowing for a deeper understanding of their functions and potential applications in regenerative medicine.