1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exercises in continuum mechanics

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1
    Hello
    Please forgive me if i am not posting in the correct forum. Also you may find my English a bit rusty since i am basically French

Ok so i wanna solve some exercises in continuum mechanics . The first exercise states :
    we have a stress tensor in a Cartesian coordinate system with the point O ; origin of the system , such as :
    captur10.jpg
    calculate σx so that one face of the stress vector is nil at point 0 ( i know it sounds odd)
    Then , calculate the components of the vector n on this face .

Another exercise states : the function of a stress for a plain stress condition is given by :
    captur11.jpg
    Where a and b are constants and the volume forces are ignored .
    Determine the expressions of σx and σy if for the point M(1,1) the shear stress is equal to 1/2.

For the last exercise , what i have done is calculate the derivative of Φ with respect to x and did that again for y , then calculate the the two derivative functions for the point M so it gave me :
    σ1 =a+3b
    σ2=4a+2b
    after that i applied the know functions to calculate σx and σy for a plain stress problem
    it gave me these results :
    σx =a+3b
    σy= 4a+2b which equal exactly my first results ( not sure if this is correct tho )
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    yea well i found out the responses to the question . for the first one , you just need to resolve the serie of nul equations ( the stress tensor multiplied by the n vecteur equal 0)
    for the last problem , that function is called the Airy function .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted