1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FEA Analysis, verification of values

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there.
    I have to do this excercise for my exam and I am kinda lost with the verification of data, more precisely calculations. Can you guys help me out?
    I set 100N load right above the hole... the distance between centers of the hole and nut is 190mm. the max distance between the jaws is 55mm and the min distance is 30mm. The nut is a little bit smaller it is 29.5mm. I would like to calculate either the max stress or maybe easiest would be the deflection at the end? (from fem analysis it was ~0.25mm)

2. Relevant equations
    Simple beam calculations (Mechanics of material, FEA)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure about one thing. The wrench head. Use a single beam theory on entire wrench or split it to sections (if so how?) and calculate it with method of superposition. fem excercise.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forum.

It is a little difficult to know how to help you when your question consists of "I am kinda lost."

Many times when people have a problem of this nature, if they sit down and try to formulate the question in clear terms, the answer will become clear also. That is, if you ask the question clearly you will see the answer yourself.

For example: I am guessing that FEA stands for "finite element analysis." Did you set up a mesh? Did you do the things your class taught you regarding this process?

4. Jun 15, 2015 #3
    Ok I understand. I will reformulate my question. I have this excercise, above I've written the data about the case. I would like to ask what method would you use regarding calculating the deflection of the wrench at the end of the handle. Should I calculate it as simple cantilever beam or split it to multiple elements (for example 4: 2 elements would be the jaws, third element would connect these jaws and fourth element would be just the handle of wrench) and calculate it in all of them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted