1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expand function in Laurent series

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Expand ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z^2(z-1)}## in Laurent series for ##0<|z-1|<1##. Use binomial series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am looking at this problem for quite some time now and still I got nothing.

I do however think that this will come in handy ##\frac{1}{z^2(z-1)}=\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z-1}##. That's all I have and not even a clue on how to continue ... Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2
    Update.

Ok, I managed to find some examples http://sym.lboro.ac.uk/resources/Handout-Laurent.pdf and hopefully at least some of the things written below are ok.

In ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z^2(z-1)}## I replace ##w=z-1## so that my open disk ##0<|z-1|=|w|<2## is centered around point ##0##.

So ##f(w)=\frac{1}{w(w+1)^2}=\frac{1}{w}-\frac{1}{w+1}-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}##.

Now it makes sense to google binomial series and find out that ##\frac{1}{(1-z)^{\beta +1}}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{k+\beta }{k}z^k##.

Now if I am not completely mistaken than ##\frac{1}{w}=\frac{-1}{-(1-1+w)}=-\frac{1}{1-(1+w)}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(1+w)^k##.

And similar for ##-\frac{1}{w+1}## and ##-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}##, which alltogether gives me ##f(w)=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}[(1+w)^k+(2+w)^k+(1+(1+w)^2)^k]##.

And finally ##f(z)=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}[z^k+(z+1)^k+(1+(z)^2)^k]##.

Yes or no?

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. You want to expand about z=1 or w=0. You expanded parts of the function about w=1. The series you end up with in the end should consist of powers of (z-1).

Also, the disk is given by 0 < |z-1| < 1. If w=z-1, then you get 0 < |w| < 1, not 0 < |w| < 2.

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4
    Ok, how do I do that?

I agree, it was mistake.

6. Mar 27, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For example, the term 1/w is already in the form of wn. You don't have to do anything with that term.

Expand ##\frac{1}{1+w}## as a power series in ##w##. (You should memorize this series if you don't already know it.) Differentiate that and you'll get the series for ##{-\frac{1}{(1+w)^2}}##. Put it all together and you have the Laurent series in terms of ##w##.

7. Mar 27, 2014 #6
    That's exactly how I wanted to do it, but the problem states that I have to use binomial series. So, of course my next question is what does binomial series have to do with all this? Where do I than use it if not here?

8. Mar 27, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can use the binomial theorem to expand (1+w)-1 and (1+w)-2.

9. Mar 27, 2014 #8
    Remember: ##f(w)=\frac{1}{w(w+1)^2}=\frac{1}{w}-\frac{1}{w+1}-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}##

Hopefully this sounds a bit better:

##-\frac{1}{w+1}=-\frac{1}{1-(-w)}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{k}{k}(-1)^kw^k=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{k+1}w^k##

and

##-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}=-\frac{1}{(1-(-w))^2}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{k+1}{k}(-1)^kw^k=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(k+1)(-1)^{k+1}w^k##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted