Expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry

In summary, the conversation is about a method used to expand a tight binding Hamiltonian for small k's around symmetry points. The method involves using a unitary transformation to change the basis from the four Bloch functions basis to a "symmetry-adapted basis". However, the specific operator used for this transformation and the concept of a symmetry-adapted basis are not well-explained in the paper being referenced. The person in the conversation is looking for a more specific example of this method being applied to a tight binding Hamiltonian.
Qturtle
Hey
I have a tight binding Hamiltonian of a BCC lattice which is a 4x4 matrix in k space (the 4 elements correspond to 4 atoms that are in a unit cell)
I want to expand it for small k's around the symmetry points P or Gamma or H.
I'm looking at a paper by J. L. Ma˜nes, PHYSICAL REVIEW B 85, 155118 (2012), where he is doing this by some kind of Unitary transformation to the Hamiltonian that changes the basis from the four Bloch functions basis to the "symmetry-adapted basis". I didn't find an explanation in the paper to the operator he uses to go from one basis to another, and i don't understand what is this symmetry adapted basis anyway.
If anyone understand this i would be very happy to know :)http://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.85.155118

Physics news on Phys.org
hey DrDu
since i don't have a very good background on group theory (abstract math is not my strong suit.. \:), and since it looks like a more general subject, is there a more concentrated example that applies this method strictly to the problem at hand? (i.e changing the basis of a tight binding Hamiltonian)

Thanks!

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in the system.

2. What does it mean to expand the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry?

Expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry means that we are approximating the behavior of a system near a point where it exhibits a particular symmetry. This allows us to simplify the equations of motion and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

3. Why is expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry useful?

Expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry can help us understand the behavior of a system more easily and make predictions about its future behavior. It also allows us to identify conserved quantities, such as angular momentum, which can help us solve the equations of motion.

4. How is the Hamiltonian expanded around a point of symmetry?

The Hamiltonian is expanded using a Taylor series, which approximates a function as a polynomial. By expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry, we can truncate the series at a certain point and simplify the equations of motion.

5. What are some examples of systems where expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry is useful?

Expanding the Hamiltonian around a point of symmetry is useful in many physical systems, including pendulums, planetary motion, and rigid bodies. It is also used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in harmonic oscillators and other systems with symmetries.