Expanding x^n-a^n without Binomial Theroem ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Binomial Theorem to expand (xn - an) and the confusion around factoring instead of expanding. The conversation also touches on the use of polynomial long division and synthetic division to solve the problem.
gaganspidey

Homework Statement

33ddulu.jpg

This is the given Theorem in my book, everything seems fine except that I cannot figure how they expanded (xn - an)

Homework Equations

The Binomial Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

According to me (xn - an) = {[(x+a)-a]n - an} and expanding it would yield terms containing the nC0,nC1 etc. but they haven't shown anything like this where did all this disappear ? Plus I know that (x-a) would come out common and get cancel by (x-a) in the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
The very first phrase in the proof tells you: Dividing (xn-an) by (x-a).

^ That went over my head :redface:
I mean that's the question I am asking, how do I divide them ?

Part of the confusion may be that they are NOT expanding- they are factoring which is, basically, the opposite of "expanding".
You probably already know the second degree version of that: [itex]x^2- y^2= (x- y)(x+ y)[/itex].

The third degree version is [itex]x^3- y^3= (x- y)(x^2+ xy+ y^2)[/itex].

In general [itex]x^n- y^n= x^{n-1}+ x^{n-2}y+ x^{n-3}y^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^2y^{n-3}+ xy^{n-2}+ y^{n-1}[/itex]

Thanks very much vela & HallsofIvy, finally I get the hang of this thing, how clumsy of me not to think of it.

There is small change required in the formula you mentioned.

(x^n - a^n) must be expanded in general as below.

(x^n - a^n) = (x - a) ( Rest of what you mentioned above after = sign).

So, now, (x - a) can be canceled with the denominator in the problem raised above.

Suggest me if I am wrong.

Likes bixash
Gurudev MJ said:
There is small change required in the formula you mentioned.

(x^n - a^n) must be expanded in general as below.
As already noted in this thread, xn - an is NOT being expanded; it is being factored.
Gurudev MJ said:
(x^n - a^n) = (x - a) ( Rest of what you mentioned above after = sign).

So, now, (x - a) can be canceled with the denominator in the problem raised above.

Suggest me if I am wrong.

1. What is the formula for expanding x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem?

The formula for expanding x^n-a^n without the Binomial Theorem is (x-a)(x^(n-1) + ax^(n-2) + a^2x^(n-3) + ... + a^(n-2)x + a^(n-1)).

2. Why would one want to expand x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem?

Expanding x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem can be useful in situations where the Binomial Theorem is not applicable, such as when the exponent n is not a positive integer or when dealing with complex numbers.

3. How do you determine the coefficients in the expanded form of x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem?

The coefficients in the expanded form of x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem can be determined by using the pattern of coefficients in Pascal's Triangle. The coefficient of x^(n-1) is 1, the coefficient of x^(n-2) is n-1, and so on until the coefficient of a^(n-1) is 1.

4. Can the expanded form of x^n-a^n be simplified further?

Yes, the expanded form of x^n-a^n can be simplified further by factoring out the common term (x-a). This will result in a simpler form of (x-a)(...), where the ellipsis represents the expanded form of x^(n-1) + ax^(n-2) + a^2x^(n-3) + ... + a^(n-2)x + a^(n-1).

5. Are there any other methods for expanding x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem?

Yes, there are other methods for expanding x^n-a^n without using the Binomial Theorem, such as using the method of differences or the method of undetermined coefficients. However, the method of using Pascal's Triangle is the most commonly used and efficient method.