Exploring the Pressure of Heated Air and Water: Which Exerts More Force?

In summary, heating a jar of water and a jar of air to 100C can lead to explosion, especially for the jar of water which is likely to boil into steam. The pressure in the jar of air may also increase due to the increase in temperature, but it will not be as high as the pressure in the jar of water. The amount of headspace in the jar can also affect the pressure, with a larger headspace resulting in a lower pressure. Calculating the pressure can be done using the density of water and the coefficient of thermal expansion of the glass jar, but it is important to consider the effect of air in the headspace and the elastic deformation of the jar and lid.
Xilus
Lets say you have a jar of water, and a jar of air.
You heat both of them 100C

will either of them explode?

ok just kidding.

which one exerts more pressure, and is hence more likely to explode?

did heating the substance turn heat into force? (force per unit area)

Physics news on Phys.org
Xilus said:
Lets say you have a jar of water, and a jar of air.
You heat both of them 100C

will either of them explode?

100 C is the boiling point of water, so it's very likely to explode when the water boils into steam. As for the jar of air, it may or may not, depending on the strength of the jar. I wouldn't try it at home, that's for sure.

Xilus said:
did heating the substance turn heat into force? (force per unit area)

No, but it does increase the force on the jar since the molecules are moving about faster.

Why not try to work out what the pressure rises would actually be for some sample problems ?

Likes Chestermiller
PV=nRT

the constant R doesn't work with a liquid like water.
we could calculate the pressure for the air though! that's awesome.

Is the jar initially full of water, or is the headspace. If the latter, is there air in the head space, or just water vapor?

Likes Xilus
No headspace. One Jar broke. but 6 made it!
IMG_0331_compressed.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0331_compressed.jpg
    IMG_0331_compressed.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
The effect with a totally full bottle would depend both on the expansion coefficient of the water and the glass of the bottle.

Likes JRMichler and Xilus
The apples were cooked in boiling water. so they probably absorbed a lot of water. that's why i chose water. of course there is lots of other biomass in the applesauce.

Xilus said:
The apples were cooked in boiling water. so they probably absorbed a lot of water. that's why i chose water. of course there is lots of other biomass in the applesauce.
How did you determine that there is absolutely no heat space and that you got all the air out when you put the lid on?

Xilus said:
There was a little air at the top. not much.
How much? The volume of liquid water only increases by about 4% when heated from 20 C to 100 C.

Likes Xilus
I'm guessing that, in this typical canning operation, there actually is a small amount of head space to begin with, and that the liquid in the jar is fairly hot when the lid goes on, rather than being cold. What is the temperature at filling? I would like to estimate the pressure of the jar contents when the temperature is at 100 C? I have done this kind of calculation before when the company I was at was working on the development of plastic soup cans for use by a food manufacturer.

I have seen canning done by boiling the apples in an open kettle, separately boiling (to sterilize) the jars and lids, then filling the jars hot and immediately putting on the lids. The resulting vacuum sucks down the lids. The sucked down lid shows that everything was done hot, and that you have a vacuum seal.

Likes Xilus
Xilus said:
No headspace. One Jar broke. but 6 made it!
In a home canning operation, one is not supposed to tighten the rings until the jars are removed from the hot water bath. The operating principle is (I assume) based on water evaporating into the head space and displacing the air there. The excess gas should bubble out through the loose seal. As the jars are cooled, the water vapor condenses and the lids are pulled down tightly -- a "vacuum seal".

The head space gives you a nice pressure reduction without a great deal of cooling and associated volume reduction in the liquid contents.

Last edited:
Likes JRMichler
It's easy to calculate the pressure with some simplifying assumptions:

Start at 20 deg C, heat to 100 deg C.
Jar and lid are infinitely stiff, and have zero coefficient of thermal expansion.
Zero air in the water, zero air in headspace.

Density of water at 20 deg C and 1 bar is 998.23 kg/m^3.
Density of water at 100 deg C and 950 bar is 997.85.
Density of water at 100 deg C and 1000 bar is 999.70.
Interpolate to 998.23, pressure is 960 bar.
960 bar X 14.5 = 13,900 PSI. This is an upper limit because it does not include thermal expansion of the glass jar, and elastic deformation of the jar and lid, or the effect of air in the head space.

Adding in the effect of thermal expansion of the glass, and the elastic modulus of the glass and lid, will reduce the pressure. But the pressure will still be high enough to break any normal glass jar. Air in a head space is needed to save the jar.

Likes Xilus
i computed 18.71 PSI for the jar of air at 100C
its lower than i expected.

Xilus said:
i computed 18.71 PSI for the jar of air at 100C
its lower than i expected.
Huh? What are you computing?

Back of the envelope: You are increasing temperature from about 293K to about 373K. Call it an increase of 30 percent. So absolute pressure should increase by about 30 percent. In terms of gauge pressure, that's about 1/3 of an atmosphere. One atmosphere is about 15 PSI. So the gauge pressure should be about 5 PSI.

1. How does the expansion of air compare to the expansion of water?

The expansion of air is greater than the expansion of water. This is because air molecules are further apart and have more room to expand compared to the tightly packed molecules in water.

2. What is the reason for the expansion of air and water?

The expansion of air and water is due to an increase in temperature. When the molecules in a substance are heated, they gain kinetic energy and move faster, causing the substance to expand.

3. Does the expansion of air and water follow the same laws?

Yes, the expansion of air and water both follow the same laws of thermodynamics. This means that they both expand in a predictable manner when heated and their volume increases in proportion to the temperature change.

4. Are there any differences in the rate of expansion between air and water?

Yes, the rate of expansion is greater for air than for water. This is because air is a gas and has more space for its molecules to move around and expand, whereas water is a liquid and has less space for its molecules to move.

5. How does the expansion of air and water affect the density of these substances?

The expansion of air and water causes a decrease in their density. As the molecules in these substances move further apart, they become less dense. This can be seen when air rises and water floats, as they are less dense than the surrounding air or water.