Expansion of exponentials (very easy)

• Thread starter Crosshash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation is about the expansion of (e^x + e^-x)^2 and the confusion over where the +2 comes from in the answer. The method of using FOIL is mentioned and it is clarified that the correct expansion is (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the expansion is correct.
Crosshash
Sorry, I'm having a severe mental block here, sorry if this is laughable.

Question
Expand (e^x + e^-x)^2

I've got the answer but I'm just stumped at how to reach it, I don't know where the 2 comes from:

Answer
e^2x + 2 + e^-2x

Thanks (and sorry again)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you unsure how to even start or is there a particular term you are confused about? Which 2 are you talking about, the +2 or the 2 in e^2x?

eok20 said:
Are you unsure how to even start or is there a particular term you are confused about? Which 2 are you talking about, the +2 or the 2 in e^2x?

Sorry, the +2. I can reach the e^2x + e^-2x but I can't reach the "+2" which means the method I'm using is incorrect.

I haven't touched this stuff in a while so I'm just trying to re-remember it.

Remember, (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 (use foil), NOT a^2 + b^2

eok20 said:
Remember, (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 (use foil), NOT a^2 + b^2

Yeah, i tried using foil.

Foil if I'm not mistaken would grant me.

(e^x + e^-x) (e^x + e^-x)

(e^x * e^x) + (e^x * e^-x) + (e^-x * e^x) + (e^-x * e^-x)

(e^2x) + (1) + (1) + (e^-2x)

(e^2x) + (2) + (e^-2x)

Is that right?

Yep, looks good.

aha, thanks for the help. Just got a bit confused with the powers for a moment it seems.

1. What is an exponential?

An exponential is a mathematical function in which a constant base is raised to a variable power. The base can be any number, but it is typically e, the base of the natural logarithm.

2. How do you expand an exponential expression?

To expand an exponential expression, you multiply the base by itself as many times as the exponent indicates. For example, the expression 2^3 would be expanded as 2 x 2 x 2 = 8.

3. What is the difference between an exponential and a power?

An exponential is a type of power, but not all powers are exponentials. A power can have any base and exponent, while an exponential has a constant base and a variable exponent.

4. Can you simplify an exponential expression?

Yes, you can simplify an exponential expression by combining like terms and applying exponent rules. For example, 2^3 x 2^2 can be simplified to 2^5 by adding the exponents together.

5. How are exponentials used in real life?

Exponentials are commonly used in finance, physics, and biology. They can model population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay, among other real-world phenomena.