1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation and variance of a random number of random variables

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X1...XN be independent and identically distributed random variables, N is a non-negative integer valued random variable. Let Z = X1 + ... + XN (assume when N=0 Z=0).
    1. Find E(Z)
    2. Show var(Z) = var(N)E(X1)2 + E(N)var(X1)

2. Relevant equations

E(Z) = EX (E(X|Z))
    Law of total variance: var(Z) = EX (var(Z|X)) + VarX (E(Z|X))

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I think I have managed this, I got E(N)E(X)
    2. I'm unsure how to tackle this one, I know var(Z) = E(Z2) - E(Z)2, and I know E(Z)2 but I don't know how to calculate the other, or if I should be using the equation above, and if so, how.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    2. follows immediately from the total variance formula.

var Z=E ( var (Z|N)) + var (E (Z|N))

E ( var (Z|N))=E(N var (X1))=var(X1) E(N) -- by fixing N, Z is a sum of fixed number of Xi-s

var (E (Z|N))=var (N E(X1))=[E(X1)]^2*var(N)
  4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
  5. Jan 27, 2010 #4
    The question has a second part which I've just attempted but am also struggling with:

The number of calls received each day at an emergency centre, N, has a poisson distribution, with mean [tex]\mu[/tex]. Each call has probability p of requiring immediate police response. Let Z be the random bariable representing the number of calls involving police response.

a) What is the probability mass function of Z given N=n?
    b) What is the probability generating function of Z, given that we know N=n?
    c) Find E(sZ) (use the partition theorem for expectation)
    d) Deduce the unconditional distribution of Z and write down var(Z).
    e) How is this related to the formula we already worked out?

a) If we know N=n, can we model Z on a binomial distribution with parameters (n,p) so pZ(n) = ([tex]^{N}_{n}[/tex])pn(1-p)N-n =pn
    b) The binomial p.g.f. is (q+ps)n
    c) E(sZ) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{N}_{n=1}[/tex] E(sZ | N=n)P(N=n) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{N}_{n=1}[/tex] (q+ps)npn = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{N}_{n=1}[/tex] (pq + p2s)n

I don't understand where I go from here if any of that is correct. I'm not sure that I should have modelled Z on a binomial r.v.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook