Expectation of a function of X and Y

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
gjones89
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find E[X^Y], where X and Y are independent random variables which are uniform on [0,1].

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I know that to get E[f(x)] for a function of one continuous random variable X, you integrate xf(x) between minus and plus infinity.

I tried to generalise this method for a function of two variables and integrate [x*y*f(x,y)] as a double integral for x and y between 0 and 1. So I have a double integral with [x*y*f(x,y) = (x^(y+1))*y] under the integral signs. When I solved this as a double integral (integrating with respect to y first), I ended up with an answer of 2ln(2/3) + 1. Am I using the right method?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gjones89 said:
I know that to get E[f(x)] for a function of one continuous random variable X, you integrate xf(x) between minus and plus infinity.

This is incorrect. Suppose that X is a random variable, uniform on [0,1], with pdf [tex]f_X[/tex]. Then the expectation value of a function [tex]g(X)[/tex] is

[tex]E(g(X)) = \int_0^1 dx~g(x) f_X(x).[/tex]

There's no factor of [tex]x[/tex] inserted.

I tried to generalise this method for a function of two variables and integrate [x*y*f(x,y)] as a double integral for x and y between 0 and 1. So I have a double integral with [x*y*f(x,y) = (x^(y+1))*y] under the integral signs. When I solved this as a double integral (integrating with respect to y first), I ended up with an answer of 2ln(2/3) + 1. Am I using the right method?

No, if you use the correct formula above,

[tex]E(X^Y) = \int_0^1 dx \int_0^1 dy~ x^y f_X(x) f_Y(y).[/tex]

Since [tex]x,y[/tex] are uniform, [tex]f_X=f_Y=1[/tex]. The answer will still have a logarithm in it.