Expectation of Normal Variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the expectation of a normal variable and how it relates to the integration of two terms. The proof shows that by setting z=x-mu, the integral can be split into two parts, which can then be integrated separately. This is possible because of the linear property of integration, as demonstrated by the example of a(b+c) = ab+ac.
rwinston
Hi

More of a general integration question, but I just saw the following proof for the derivation of the expectation of a normal variable:

[tex]
E[X] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x exp\left( -\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}(x-\mu)^2 \right) dx}
[/tex]Set z=(x-mu):

[tex]
E[X] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{z exp\left( -\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}z^2 \right) dx} + \mu \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{exp\left( -\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}z^2 \right)dx}
[/tex]

[tex]=\mu[/tex]

Now, I don't really understand how this works: if z=x-mu, then I would assume that the term inside the integral becomes:

[tex]
(z+\mu) exp\left( -\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}z^2\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
= z \left( exp\left( -\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}z^2 \right) \right) + \mu \left( exp\left( -\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}z^2 \right) \right)
[/tex]

However, I don't see how we get two separate integrals, as in the proof above. Can anyone help shed any light on this?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a sum of two terms which need to be integrated, so you can distribute the integration over the summation?

genneth said:
It's a sum of two terms which need to be integrated, so you can distribute the integration over the summation?

Hmm...I'm still a bit confused tho - I know that you can distribute integration as you have said, as it is a linear operation, but if this was the case, would you have the

[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}
[/tex]

term in front of both integrals? I would have thought it was just be in front of the first one?

a(b+c) = ab+ac

you learned that in kindergarten (albeit not in such an algebraic form).

Got it, thanks :-)

matt grime said:
a(b+c) = ab+ac

you learned that in kindergarten (albeit not in such an algebraic form).

1. What is the definition of expectation of a normal variable?

The expectation of a normal variable is the average or mean value that we expect to observe from a normal distribution. It represents the central tendency of the data.

2. How is the expectation of a normal variable calculated?

The expectation of a normal variable is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its corresponding probability, and then summing up all these products.

3. What is the relationship between expectation and variance of a normal variable?

The variance of a normal variable measures the spread of the data around the expectation. A larger variance indicates a wider spread of data points, while a smaller variance indicates a more tightly clustered set of data points around the expectation.

4. Can the expectation of a normal variable be negative?

Yes, the expectation of a normal variable can be negative if the distribution is skewed towards the left. However, in a symmetrical normal distribution, the expectation will always be equal to zero.

5. How is the expectation of a normal variable used in statistical analysis?

The expectation of a normal variable is used as a measure of central tendency in statistical analysis. It is also used to calculate other important statistics such as variance and standard deviation, and to make predictions about future observations from a normal distribution.