Expectation Value of Momentum for Wavepacket

In summary, the average momentum for a packet corresponding to the given normalizable wavefunction is \hbar k, as determined by plugging in the momentum operator and using the chain rule. The second term, which involves integration by parts, evaluates to zero due to the vanishing of \phi at ±∞. Therefore, the second term does not affect the overall result of \hbar k for the average momentum.
torq123

Homework Statement

What is the average momentum for a packet corresponding to this normalizable wavefunction?

[itex]\Psi(x) = C \phi(x) exp(ikx) [/itex]

C is a normalization constant and [itex]\phi(x) [/itex] is a real function.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{p}\rightarrow -i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int\Psi(x)^{*}\Psi(x)dx = \int C^2 \phi(x)^{2}dx= 1 [/itex]

Plugging in the momentum operator and using the chain rule:

[itex]<\hat{p}> = \hbar k \int C^2 \phi(x)^2 dx - i \hbar \int C^2 \phi^{'}\phi dx [/itex]

The second term is always imaginary since [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] is real, so I said the momentum is [itex]\hbar k[/itex] which I think might be right, but for the wrong reasons? I didn't think Hermetian operators could give imaginary expectation values...

Physics news on Phys.org
torq123 said:
[itex]<\hat{p}> = \hbar k \int C^2 \phi(x)^2 dx - i \hbar \int C^2 \phi^{'}\phi dx [/itex]

The second term is always imaginary since [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] is real, so I said the momentum is [itex]\hbar k[/itex] which I think might be right, but for the wrong reasons? I didn't think Hermetian operators could give imaginary expectation values...
Try working on the 2nd term a bit more. Hint: use integration by parts.

Are you saying that the second term must be zero since [itex]\phi[/itex] vanishes at ±∞ and the integral evaluates to [itex]\phi^2(x)/2[/itex]? That makes sense to me.

torq123 said:
Are you saying that the second term must be zero since [itex]\phi[/itex] vanishes at ±∞ and the integral evaluates to [itex]\phi^2(x)/2[/itex]?
That's the idea.

Awesome. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the expectation value of momentum for a wavepacket?

The expectation value of momentum for a wavepacket is a measure of the average momentum of a quantum particle described by a wavepacket. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of momentum and the probability density function of the wavepacket.

2. How is the expectation value of momentum related to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of momentum is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the most probable value of momentum for a particle, while the uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we know its position, and vice versa.

3. Can the expectation value of momentum be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of momentum can be negative. This indicates that the wavepacket has a higher probability of moving in the opposite direction of the momentum.

4. How does the width of a wavepacket affect the expectation value of momentum?

The width of a wavepacket affects the expectation value of momentum in that a narrower wavepacket will have a higher expectation value of momentum, while a wider wavepacket will have a lower expectation value of momentum. This is because a narrower wavepacket implies a more well-defined momentum, while a wider wavepacket implies a broader range of possible momenta.

5. What information can we gain from the expectation value of momentum for a wavepacket?

The expectation value of momentum for a wavepacket can give us information about the average velocity and direction of a quantum particle described by the wavepacket. It can also provide insight into the uncertainty of the particle's momentum and its relationship to the uncertainty principle.