Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of operator derivation

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    Where one can find a proof of the expectation value of operator expression.

<A> = < Ψ | A | Ψ >

or

<A> = integral( Ψ* A Ψ dx )

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expectation value of an observable is the average value of its outcome weighted according to the probability of each outcome.

[itex]\langle A\rangle\equiv \sum_{i}P(a_{i}) a_{i}[/itex]

The observable [itex]A[/itex] can be expressed in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenstates as:
    [itex]\hat{A}=\sum_{i}a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|[/itex], where [itex]\hat{A}|a_{i}\rangle=a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle[/itex]

The probability of a given outcome is given by the state of the system [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] and the Born rule:
    [itex]P(a_{i})=|\langle a_{i}|\psi\rangle|^{2}=\langle \psi|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|\psi\rangle[/itex]

Combining these together, we find the expectation value:
    [itex]\langle A\rangle= \sum_{i}\langle \psi|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|\psi\rangle a_{i}[/itex]

With a little algebra, this becomes:
    [itex]\langle A\rangle=\langle \psi|\big(\sum_{i}a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|\big)|\psi\rangle =\langle \psi|\hat{A}|\psi\rangle[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook