Expectation value of operator derivation

In summary, the expectation value of an observable, A, can be found using the equation <A> = < Ψ | A | Ψ > or <A> = integral( Ψ* A Ψ dx ), where Ψ is the state of the system and A is expressed in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenstates. This expectation value is the average value of the observable's outcome weighted according to their probabilities, which are determined by the state of the system and the Born rule.
Goodver
Where one can find a proof of the expectation value of operator expression.

<A> = < Ψ | A | Ψ >

or

<A> = integral( Ψ* A Ψ dx )

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of an observable is the average value of its outcome weighted according to the probability of each outcome.

[itex]\langle A\rangle\equiv \sum_{i}P(a_{i}) a_{i}[/itex]

The observable [itex]A[/itex] can be expressed in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenstates as:
[itex]\hat{A}=\sum_{i}a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|[/itex], where [itex]\hat{A}|a_{i}\rangle=a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle[/itex]

The probability of a given outcome is given by the state of the system [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] and the Born rule:
[itex]P(a_{i})=|\langle a_{i}|\psi\rangle|^{2}=\langle \psi|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|\psi\rangle[/itex]

Combining these together, we find the expectation value:
[itex]\langle A\rangle= \sum_{i}\langle \psi|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|\psi\rangle a_{i}[/itex]

With a little algebra, this becomes:
[itex]\langle A\rangle=\langle \psi|\big(\sum_{i}a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle\langle a_{i}|\big)|\psi\rangle =\langle \psi|\hat{A}|\psi\rangle[/itex].

Likes vanhees71

What is the expectation value of an operator?

The expectation value of an operator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the average value of a physical quantity that can be measured in a system. It is represented by the symbol ⟨A⟩, where A is the operator.

How is the expectation value of an operator calculated?

The expectation value of an operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the operator applied to the state vector. It is represented by the equation ⟨A⟩ = ⟨ψ|A|ψ⟩, where ψ is the state vector.

What is the significance of the expectation value of an operator?

The expectation value of an operator is significant because it provides a way to calculate the average value of a physical quantity in a quantum system. It allows us to make predictions about the outcome of measurements and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is the relationship between the expectation value and uncertainty of an operator?

The uncertainty of an operator is related to the spread of possible outcomes of a measurement of a physical quantity in a quantum system. The expectation value, on the other hand, represents the average value of that physical quantity. The uncertainty can be calculated using the standard deviation of the measurement outcomes, which is related to the expectation value through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

Can the expectation value of an operator change over time?

Yes, the expectation value of an operator can change over time as the state of the system evolves. This is because the state vector, and therefore the expectation value, is dependent on time. The change in the expectation value can be described by the time-dependent Schrödinger equation.