1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of P^2 for particle in 2d box

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] expectation value of P^2 for particle in 2d box

I am having difficulty in finding the right way to find this value. my book only give the 1d momentum operator as: ih(bar)*d/dx(partials). i see its much like finding the normalization constant. which i have done using a double integral. the problem has as a given soln psi(x,y)= Asin(k1x)sin(k2y). the dimensions are y ranges from 0 to l/2, and x ranges from 0 to l. i have found the normalization constant to be (2*sqrt2)/2 by doing a dble integral of psi*psi. I have also found the allowable energy lvls :E=((pi^2*h(bar)^2)/ml^2)*((n1^2/2)+2n2^2) where n1=n2 and are any whoile number for the quantum numbers. the main problem i am having is how to define the p operator for a 2-d box. can i use (-ih(bar)*(d/dx +d/dy))^2, and then evaluate it over a dble integral. but then i would have strange cross terms. i think i have to use the E value i have found but im not sure. any help would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Hint: [itex]p^2 = p_x^2 + p_y^2[/itex] for the classical momentum in two dimensions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?