Expectation value of P^2 for particle in 2d box

In summary, the problem involves finding the expectation value of the momentum operator squared for a particle in a 2D box. The book only provides the 1D momentum operator and the given solution for the wave function. The normalization constant and allowable energy levels have been found, but the main difficulty lies in defining the momentum operator for a 2D box. A hint suggests using the classical momentum operator squared in two dimensions.
3uc1id
[SOLVED] expectation value of P^2 for particle in 2d box

I am having difficulty in finding the right way to find this value. my book only give the 1d momentum operator as: ih(bar)*d/dx(partials). i see its much like finding the normalization constant. which i have done using a double integral. the problem has as a given soln psi(x,y)= Asin(k1x)sin(k2y). the dimensions are y ranges from 0 to l/2, and x ranges from 0 to l. i have found the normalization constant to be (2*sqrt2)/2 by doing a dble integral of psi*psi. I have also found the allowable energy lvls :E=((pi^2*h(bar)^2)/ml^2)*((n1^2/2)+2n2^2) where n1=n2 and are any whoile number for the quantum numbers. the main problem i am having is how to define the p operator for a 2-d box. can i use (-ih(bar)*(d/dx +d/dy))^2, and then evaluate it over a dble integral. but then i would have strange cross terms. i think i have to use the E value i have found but I am not sure. any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [itex]p^2 = p_x^2 + p_y^2[/itex] for the classical momentum in two dimensions.

1. What is the expectation value of P^2 for a particle in a 2D box?

The expectation value of P^2 for a particle in a 2D box is the average value of the square of the momentum operator for the particle within the box.

2. How is the expectation value of P^2 calculated for a particle in a 2D box?

The expectation value of P^2 is calculated by taking the integral of the square of the momentum operator over the wave function of the particle in the 2D box.

3. Why is the expectation value of P^2 important in the study of a particle in a 2D box?

The expectation value of P^2 provides information about the spread of the momentum of the particle within the 2D box, which is an important factor in determining the behavior and properties of the particle.

4. How does the size of the 2D box affect the expectation value of P^2?

The size of the 2D box can affect the expectation value of P^2 as it can change the allowed energy levels and wave function of the particle. A larger box may result in a larger expectation value of P^2, indicating a wider spread of momentum values for the particle.

5. Is the expectation value of P^2 constant for a particle in a 2D box?

No, the expectation value of P^2 may vary depending on the specific energy level and wave function of the particle in the 2D box. It is not a constant value and can change as the particle's state changes.