Expected number of blue balls drawn from a sack of m red balls and n blue balls?

• Thread starter Somefantastik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of breaking down a mathematical equation involving the expectation of a Hypergeometric variable. The participants suggest using indicator random variables and defining a random variable to compute the expected value. Ultimately, they realize that the answer can be factored out and use the illustration of selecting balls to determine the resulting sum.
Somefantastik
Can someone help me break this down?

[tex]\Sigma^{k}_{i=1}\frac{i \left(^{n}_{i}\right)\left(^{m}_{k-i}\right)}{\left(^{m+n}_{k}\right)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
k*n/(m+n)

Thanks for your help, but I had the answer and was really looking for the process.

Look at the expectation of a Hypergeometric variable.

Somefantastik said:
Can someone help me break this down?

[tex]\Sigma^{k}_{i=1}\frac{i \left(^{n}_{i}\right)\left(^{m}_{k-i}\right)}{\left(^{m+n}_{k}\right)}[/tex]

First translate from math to English: there are m red balls and n blue balls in a sack from which you randomly draw k balls. What is the expected number of blue balls drawn? Now translate back into math: try using indicator random variables [itex]X_{j}[/itex] which equal 1 if the j-th drawn ball is blue and 0 if it is red. Now define the random variable

[tex]
X = \sum_{j=1}^{k} X_{j}
[/tex]

and compute the expected value of that and hopefully you'll get the answer that Roberto gave.

addendum: doh! After all that I just realized you can factor the answer out of the sum. Then use the illustration of selecting balls to see what the resulting sum must be.

Last edited:

Related to Expected number of blue balls drawn from a sack of m red balls and n blue balls?

1. How do you break down a summation?

The process of breaking down a summation involves rewriting it in a simpler form by expanding and simplifying the terms.

2. What is the purpose of breaking down a summation?

Breaking down a summation can help us to better understand the underlying pattern or relationship between the terms, and ultimately to evaluate the summation more easily.

3. What are some common methods for breaking down a summation?

Some common methods for breaking down a summation include using algebraic manipulation, applying known summation formulas, and using properties of arithmetic and geometric sequences.

4. Can breaking down a summation help to solve a problem?

Yes, breaking down a summation can often lead to a simpler expression that can be evaluated more easily, making it a useful tool in solving problems involving sums.

5. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for breaking down a summation?

There are no specific rules, but it is important to use algebraic operations correctly and to be familiar with common summation formulas and properties of sequences.