Experiment and pu tiron nail into water

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving placing an iron nail in water and observing its rusting process. The chemical process of rust formation is described, including the reactions of iron with oxygen and water. The question of why red rust is formed instead of green rust and the effects of pH levels and impurities in the water are also raised. The conversation then shifts to the topic of using electrolysis to de-rust the nail, with questions about the gain or loss of weight during this process and the reactions taking place at the cathode. The experiment also involves using a solution of HCl, and there is a discussion about the formation of FeCl2 and the potential production of hydrogen gas at the cathode.
Mathysics
So i did an experiment and pu tiron nail into water and serveral days later it starts to rust.

and i looked at the book and the chemical process is
1)Fe loses electron
2) that electron + oxygen + water produces hydroxide
3) hydroxide and Fe ion reacts and form Fe(OH)2, green rust
4) green rust + oxygen become red rust + water

but i don't know why it is red rust that is formed on the nail. If the pH level is low will it becomes red rust or stays at green rust?

THX!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Crystal structure of green rust formed by corrosion of cast iron
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v259/n5540/abs/259200a0.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(II)_hydroxide
If the solution was not deoxygenated and the iron reduced, the precipitate can vary in color starting from green to reddish brown depending on the iron(III) content.
Look at the possible reactions of Fe and aqueous solutions, and also at the forms of Fe oxides, hydroxides and oxyhydroxides.

Are there any cation impurities or alloying elements?

well the h2o will have impurities, and the nail is actually steel and iron?

As part of the experiment i am also to de rust the nail.

would the nail suppose the gain weigh after electrolysis? Because when the nail rust it gains weigh, and if de rust will it lose weigh? but my nail gains weigh after electrolysis and I have no idea why is that...

Mathysics said:
well the h2o will have impurities, and the nail is actually steel and iron?

As part of the experiment i am also to de rust the nail.

would the nail suppose the gain weigh after electrolysis? Because when the nail rust it gains weigh, and if de rust will it lose weigh? but my nail gains weigh after electrolysis and I have no idea why is that...
The nail is probably steel, i.e. an alloy of iron. It would gain mass from the oxidation of the steel components, i.e., pickup oxygen in the form of oxides, or hydroxides.

Astronuc said:
The nail is probably steel, i.e. an alloy of iron. It would gain mass from the oxidation of the steel components, i.e., pickup oxygen in the form of oxides, or hydroxides.
well yes when the nail form rust it is heavier but I am not sure about the cathode (rusted iron) will gain or lose weight. I re-tested again at school day and still got the same result. So my question is how come the nail rust it gains weight, and when the nail being de-rusted it gains weight again?

Oh.. also the anode iron (sacrifical iron) forms green stuff aorund it, I am not sure what that is too!

Last edited:

How much mass is gained?

In addition to forming oxides with iron and other steel components, there may be spinels or other complex oxides. Is the electrolyte solution aerated or de-aerated water?

Note: reduction occurs at the cathode. So mass deposition would occur at that cathode.

http://bouman.chem.georgetown.edu/S02/lect25/lect25.htm
bouman.chem.georgetown.edu/S02/lect25/e3a.jpg

Also note the different reactions with water. Even in electrolysis, if one liberates hydrogen, the oxygen is available to react with the cathode.

What reactions are taking place in the cell, particularly at the cathode?

Astronuc said:
How much mass is gained?

In addition to forming oxides with iron and other steel components, there may be spinels or other complex oxides. Is the electrolyte solution aerated or de-aerated water?

Note: reduction occurs at the cathode. So mass deposition would occur at that cathode.

http://bouman.chem.georgetown.edu/S02/lect25/lect25.htm
bouman.chem.georgetown.edu/S02/lect25/e3a.jpg

Also note the different reactions with water. Even in electrolysis, if one liberates hydrogen, the oxygen is available to react with the cathode.

What reactions are taking place in the cell, particularly at the cathode?

the cathode nail takes 25mins to gain 2.36 -> 2.4. This is not too accurate becuase there are those (green stuff?) form around the nail and when i pull the nail out and measure the weight those green stuff fall out and stay in solution.

solution is HCl

the rust on cathode nail should be forming FeCl2 then will form iron as the cathode nail becomes negative? Is hydrogen gas also produced at cathode?

By 2.36 -> 2.4, is this a mass changing from 2.36 g to 2.4 g? I presume units are grams.

Does one measure the nail both times in the same condition, i.e. dry?

Astronuc said:
By 2.36 -> 2.4, is this a mass changing from 2.36 g to 2.4 g? I presume units are grams.

Does one measure the nail both times in the same condition, i.e. dry?

sorry my computer was having some problems...

yes it changes from 2.36 to 2.6 in grams and are both measured in the same condition

1. What is the purpose of putting an iron nail into water during an experiment?

The purpose of putting an iron nail into water during an experiment is to observe the chemical reaction between the iron and water. This reaction produces iron oxide, commonly known as rust.

2. How does the temperature of the water affect the experiment?

The temperature of the water can affect the rate of the chemical reaction between the iron and water. Higher temperatures can speed up the reaction, while lower temperatures can slow it down.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

It is important to wear gloves and safety goggles when handling the iron nail and water. The rust produced during the reaction can be sharp and may cause irritation to the skin and eyes. It is also important to handle the nail with care to avoid injury.

4. How long does it take for the iron nail to completely rust in water?

The time it takes for the iron nail to completely rust in water can vary depending on factors such as the temperature of the water and the size of the nail. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for the nail to completely rust.

5. What other materials can be added to water to observe different chemical reactions?

Other materials that can be added to water to observe different chemical reactions include salt, sugar, vinegar, and baking soda. Each of these materials will produce a different reaction, allowing for further exploration and experimentation.