Experimental data in relativity

• Thread starter RK1992
  • Start date
hi, im doing a project on special relativity (im 17, doing A level maths, further maths and physics)

for this project, I need to analyse some data.

can anyone tell me where on earth you can find data from experiments which give empirical evidence of special relativity, like muons arriving at the surface of earth, or data from michaelson-morley experiments being run and information on the strength of the magnets at CERN and the clock readings from GPS systems

where on earth does a 17 year old get this stuff from?

thanks in advance :)

Answers and Replies

Here is another time dilation - particle lifetime measurement. Brookhaven National laboratory stored muons with a Lorentz γ = 29.3 in a ring of magnets (storage ring) for up to 700 microseconds. See

http://www.g-2.bnl.gov/publications/prl1999.pdf

The measured lifetime was 64. 4 microseconds, compared to 2.2 microseconds for the muon at rest. See Fig.3. Calculate how far the muon traveled in 700 microseconds.

Useful formula. The time-dilated decay length (the 1/e decay length) is L' = βγcτ, where
τ is lifetime in the center of mass
c= speed of light
βγ are the Lorentz parameters.

Bob S

Here is another time dilation - particle lifetime measurement. Brookhaven National laboratory stored muons with a Lorentz γ = 29.3 in a ring of magnets (storage ring) for up to 700 microseconds. See

http://www.g-2.bnl.gov/publications/prl1999.pdf

The measured lifetime was 64. 4 microseconds, compared to 2.2 microseconds for the muon at rest. See Fig.3. Calculate how far the muon traveled in 700 microseconds.

Useful formula. The time-dilated decay length (the 1/e decay length) is L' = βγcτ, where
τ is lifetime in the center of mass
c= speed of light
βγ are the Lorentz parameters.

Bob S
i got β=0.999416325
so then the distance covered is just x=vt so 0.999416325 x 3.0e8 x 700e-6
=209877m so roughly 210km is that right?