Experimental solid state physics

In summary, experimental solid state physics, or condensed matter physics, is a vast and important field that studies the physics of various materials, from microprocessors to supercooled gases. Experimentalists use a variety of techniques to conduct their research and there are many opportunities for pursuing a PhD in this area.
amjad-sh
Hello
I wish if anybody can enlighten me about experimental solid state physics.
What they do every day? I mean who enroll in this major what careers they can find after completing their master degree in it?
Is their a ph.D related to this major?

Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
amjad-sh said:
Hello
I wish if anybody can enlighten me about experimental solid state physics.
What they do every day? I mean who enroll in this major what careers they can find after completing their master degree in it?

Solid state physics, or more generally called condensed matter physics, is the LARGEST subdivision of physics under the American Physical Society. In fact, there is a good chance that this is the largest area of physics when compared to other areas. This is the area that is responsible for your microprocessor, your iPhone, etc... i.e. they study the physics of some of the most important material that you are using today.

Condensed matter physicists study everything from your conductor, insulator, semiconductor, superconductor... all the way to supercooled gasses, superfluids, etc.. etc. When there are a gazillion of things interacting with one another, that is a physics that a condensed matter physicist might deal with.

Experimentalists in this area perform experiments using various techniques to study the properties of material. The techniques used are so varied and so many, it is a daunting task to list them all here.

Is their a ph.D related to this major?

Gosh, darn right there is!

If you have time, read this:

http://books.nap.edu/catalog/11967/...physics-the-science-of-the-world?infocus_8_1=

Zz.

Likes DeBangis21 and amjad-sh
Thanks a lot ZapperZ.

1. What is experimental solid state physics?

Experimental solid state physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties and behaviors of solid materials through experimental methods. This includes investigating the structure, electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. What are some commonly used techniques in experimental solid state physics?

Some commonly used techniques in experimental solid state physics include X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and Raman spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the structure and properties of materials in detail.

3. How is experimental solid state physics important in technological advancements?

Experimental solid state physics plays a crucial role in technological advancements as it helps in understanding the fundamental properties and behaviors of materials. This knowledge can then be applied to develop new materials and improve existing technologies, such as semiconductors, data storage devices, and solar cells.

4. What are some current research topics in experimental solid state physics?

Some current research topics in experimental solid state physics include the study of topological materials, quantum materials, and nanomaterials. Other areas of research include understanding the properties of materials under extreme conditions, such as high pressure and low temperature, and investigating the role of defects in material properties.

5. What are the benefits of using experimental methods in solid state physics?

Experimental methods in solid state physics provide a direct and precise way of studying the properties of materials. They also allow for the observation of dynamic processes in real-time, providing a deeper understanding of the behavior of materials. Additionally, experimental techniques can be used to verify theoretical predictions and aid in the development of new materials and technologies.