1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Experimental solid state physics

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    Hello
    I wish if anybody can enlighten me about experimental solid state physics.
    What they do every day? I mean who enroll in this major what careers they can find after completing their master degree in it?
    Is their a ph.D related to this major?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Solid state physics, or more generally called condensed matter physics, is the LARGEST subdivision of physics under the American Physical Society. In fact, there is a good chance that this is the largest area of physics when compared to other areas. This is the area that is responsible for your microprocessor, your iPhone, etc... i.e. they study the physics of some of the most important material that you are using today.

Condensed matter physicists study everything from your conductor, insulator, semiconductor, superconductor... all the way to supercooled gasses, superfluids, etc.. etc. When there are a gazillion of things interacting with one another, that is a physics that a condensed matter physicist might deal with.

Experimentalists in this area perform experiments using various techniques to study the properties of material. The techniques used are so varied and so many, it is a daunting task to list them all here.

Gosh, darn right there is!

If you have time, read this:

http://books.nap.edu/catalog/11967/...physics-the-science-of-the-world?infocus_8_1=

Zz.

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3
    Thanks a lot ZapperZ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted