Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experimentally Calculate Wind Turbine Torque

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    Dear All,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have recently booked out the local wind tunnel in order to run some simulations on three home made model wind turbines. I am aware of how to theoretically calculate the available power (0.5*p*A*V^3) and that P=Tw (Torque * Angular Velocity).

Angular velocity can be measured easily enough by recording the revolutions however i have no idea how to calculate or measure the torque?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post a photo of my apparatus set up if needs be.

Cheers,

Chris!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be helpful, because there are many ways how torque could be measured. The problem is that if you have already build them without planing for the torque measurement, it is hard to say what is the simplest way to adapt your design.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Sure thing, give me two minutes to upload a sketch. Yeah, we went ahead and built them without planning for torque measurement. Bit of a mistake.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4
    http://twitpic.com/8ztc8x < Image of set up there. Effectively all that was manufactured was a turbine rotor with a bearing hub that freely rotates on a stand.

All Dimensions will be known, and after the experiment the angular velocity and windspeeds will have been recorded. If i can achieve a value for Torque i can calculate power output and thus find the Cp value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook