Potential Energy vs x phase diagram

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the equations for potential and kinetic energy in a given problem and how they can be used to sketch a graph of potential energy vs. position. The speaker is trying to understand how the equations for potential and kinetic energy translate to the behavior of the system, but is struggling to see how they can be applied to graphing potential energy. The other person in the conversation suggests that the speaker may not be properly prepared for the mechanics course if they are struggling with graphing a function of a single variable. The potential energy in this problem is a parabola facing downwards.
Blakely42
Homework Statement
Consider a mass m confined to the x axis and subject to a force F = kx where k > 0. Write down and sketch the potential energy U(x) and describe the possible motions of the mass. (Distinguish between the cases that E > 0 and E < 0.
Relevant Equations
E = T + U
L = T - U
F = -Grad(U)
H(p,x) = T + U
U(x) = - ∫Fdx = - (1/2)kx^2. T = (1/2)m(x')^2. E = (1/2)[m(x')^2 - kx^2]. We could write out the Lagrangian here, but the chapter this comes from (Taylor's Classical Mechanics 13.6) indicates we should probably write the Hamiltonian, H = T + U.

As far as I can tell, this doesn't tell me a single thing about what happens when E < 0 or E > 0. Even chapter 13 only deals with phase diagrams of x vs p. How am I supposed to translate this idea to an x vs U(x) diagram? I don't think there's enough information to do that here.Update: My professor answered my email, saying to think of it like a central force problem, but central force problems have energy from their rotational momentum; we use that energy in calculating U_eff(x). I don't see how we can do that here. It's not just an issue of getting the correct answer. I'm trying to understand how the equations yielded by the Hamiltonian actually tell me the behavior. i.e. how do the equations translate to English?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying you don't know how to sketch U(x) vs. x?

yes

What's stopping you? This is something you should have learned how to do in high school algebra. If you really have no idea of how to plot this function, you may want to reconsider whether you're properly prepared for this mechanics course.

Why use the energy to reply to a thread, but not the energy to answer a question? Thanks for the homework "help".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.16.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.16.08 PM.png
    735 bytes · Views: 172
Because what you're asking is like a calculus student asking how to calculate 2+2. It's very surprising that any student in an upper-division mechanics class doesn't know how to sketch a function of a single variable. It's surprising enough to where I suspect that's not your real question, which is why I'm asking you to dig a little deeper to identify exactly where you're getting stuck.

The potential energy is simply a parabola facing downwards, I don’t see where you’re having difficulty.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration. It is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the different phases of a substance (such as solid, liquid, and gas) at different combinations of temperature and pressure. It shows the boundaries between these phases and can be used to predict the behavior of a substance under different conditions.

How does potential energy change with respect to the x-axis on a phase diagram?

The x-axis on a phase diagram typically represents temperature or pressure. As these variables change, the potential energy of a substance can also change. For example, as temperature increases, the potential energy of a substance may also increase, causing it to change phases from solid to liquid to gas.

What is the relationship between potential energy and phase transitions?

Phase transitions, such as melting or boiling, occur when a substance's potential energy reaches a certain threshold. This threshold is determined by the strength of the intermolecular forces holding the substance together. As potential energy increases, these forces weaken, allowing the substance to change phases.

How can a potential energy vs x phase diagram be useful in scientific research?

A potential energy vs x phase diagram can be used to study the behavior of substances under different conditions and to predict phase transitions. It can also provide insight into the strength of intermolecular forces and the stability of different phases. This information can be valuable in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and geology.