Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain this terminology Steel Cord?

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    What do people in the industry usually mean by steel cord? Is it the same as steel wire, steel rope?

Pictures, Wiki, professional article/dictionary would be appreciated. I googled it but the results are still quite too blurry.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2
    I'm guessing you're talking about wire rope. I've never heard it called "steel cord" -- in my experience, it's usually referred to as "steel cable".

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Steel cord is a term often used in reference to the steel reinforcement in tires. The reinforcement is basically steel wire or cable as indicated here:
    http://www.arcelormittal.com/distributionsolutions/wiresolutions/steelcord/steel_cord [Broken]

I think the only reason the term cord is used instead of wire or cable is simply a matter of industry terminology and historic usage. I'd guess that it came from the time when tires were reinforced with cord or rope type materials that were made of anything BUT steel, so when steel started being used to replace cord in tires, the tradition of calling it 'cord' remained.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 15, 2011 #4
    Hey thanks guys, esp. Q_Goest, thanks for the link.

No one from the industry with a definitive answer? May be I got wait for some while more...

Also, what's skim compound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook