Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steel wire rope - welding or pressing

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I'm a complete laymen as far as any material science goes (engineering too), but i need Your help please.

I have w steel wire rope, 2mm in diameter. i need to know two things:

1) i need to make make a "wire mesh", the simplest plain weave. however, i must make it in such a way, so that individual wires do not move in relation to each other (no spreading) when an object presses on the mesh. what is the better way to do it? simply weld at the intersections or apply some kind of clips and press the wires together? would one of those methods be less damaging than the other?

2) is steel wire rope more or less cut-resistant (assuming the same kind of force and sharp object) than the regular, single-thread steel wire (the same kind of steel)?

basically my problem is that the mesh must be as strong as possible and i need to know what would be the best method to achieve it. Thank You very much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welding steel wire is going to be tricky, you are either only going to weld to the top few strands - or you will fill it with so much weld - well just urggghhh.

You want the wires to be able to move to spread the impact, something like U-bolts or rebar wire twists would probably be best.

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3
    Steel wire ties will do the job if the mesh is to be coated in something. The main use of the wire ties for re-bar is to hold it in position until the concrete is able to hold it together.

Welding is a bad idea for a spun cable because it is not one solid piece and never welds nicely. There are some forms of stainless attachment that I have seen, which it is 2 clamps attached 90 degrees to each other, and are able to hold the two pieces of wire together.

5. Feb 13, 2010 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Unlay the wires at alternate intersections. Tie a sheet bend/weavers hitch at each intersection (like a hammock). It is only 2 mm cable and reasonably amenable to handwork.

6. Feb 13, 2010 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Why not just purchase it already made? There are thousands of options as far as wire diameter and percent open area that you can choose from. Granted, wire rope is always going to be stronger in tension than a single strand of equal diameter. However, the different failure modes may be such that that is not important.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook