Steel wire rope - welding or pressing

In summary: This is a difficult question. Steel wire rope is going to be more cut resistant than regular wire. However, there is no simple answer because it all depends on the situation.
bbtide
Hello,

I'm a complete laymen as far as any material science goes (engineering too), but i need Your help please.

I have w steel wire rope, 2mm in diameter. i need to know two things:

1) i need to make make a "wire mesh", the simplest plain weave. however, i must make it in such a way, so that individual wires do not move in relation to each other (no spreading) when an object presses on the mesh. what is the better way to do it? simply weld at the intersections or apply some kind of clips and press the wires together? would one of those methods be less damaging than the other?

2) is steel wire rope more or less cut-resistant (assuming the same kind of force and sharp object) than the regular, single-thread steel wire (the same kind of steel)?

basically my problem is that the mesh must be as strong as possible and i need to know what would be the best method to achieve it. Thank You very much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welding steel wire is going to be tricky, you are either only going to weld to the top few strands - or you will fill it with so much weld - well just urggghhh.

You want the wires to be able to move to spread the impact, something like U-bolts or rebar wire twists would probably be best.

Steel wire ties will do the job if the mesh is to be coated in something. The main use of the wire ties for re-bar is to hold it in position until the concrete is able to hold it together.

Welding is a bad idea for a spun cable because it is not one solid piece and never welds nicely. There are some forms of stainless attachment that I have seen, which it is 2 clamps attached 90 degrees to each other, and are able to hold the two pieces of wire together.

Unlay the wires at alternate intersections. Tie a sheet bend/weavers hitch at each intersection (like a hammock). It is only 2 mm cable and reasonably amenable to handwork.

Why not just purchase it already made? There are thousands of options as far as wire diameter and percent open area that you can choose from. Granted, wire rope is always going to be stronger in tension than a single strand of equal diameter. However, the different failure modes may be such that that is not important.

What is the difference between welding and pressing in steel wire rope?

Welding involves melting the metal components of the steel wire rope together to create a bond, while pressing involves compressing the metal components together to create a bond without melting them.

Which method is stronger, welding or pressing?

Welding is generally considered to be the stronger method as it creates a fusion between the metal components, while pressing relies on compression and can result in a weaker bond.

Are there any safety concerns with welding or pressing steel wire rope?

Both welding and pressing can create heat and sparks, so appropriate safety measures should be taken to prevent injury. Additionally, welding may release fumes and gases that can be hazardous if proper ventilation is not used.

Which method is more cost-effective, welding or pressing?

Welding typically requires more equipment and specialized training, making it a more expensive option compared to pressing. However, welding may be necessary for certain applications that require a stronger bond.

Can steel wire rope be both welded and pressed?

Yes, in some cases, a combination of welding and pressing may be used to create a stronger bond. This is known as a hybrid method and is often used in specialized applications.