Explanation for increase of degree of equation

In summary, the degree of an equation is the highest exponent of the variable in the equation. It can increase when multiplying or raising an equation to a higher power. The degree affects the number of solutions an equation has, with a degree of 0 having no solutions and a degree of 1 having one solution. The degree cannot be negative, but can be 0 for a constant equation. Generally, higher degree equations are more complex and difficult to solve, but there can be exceptions.
Mr Davis 97
So say that I have the quadratic equation ##x^2 - 2x +1 = 0##. If I multiply each side by ##x##, a valid operation, I get the new equation ##x^3 - 2x^2 + x = 0##, which has a different solution set as the first, namely ##\left\{ {0, 1}\right\}##. If I make the substitution ##x^2 = 2x -1 = 0##, then I now have ##x^3 - 2(2x - 1) + x = x^3 - 3x + 2##, which has the solution set ##\left\{ {-2,1}\right\}##. I could repeat this process ad infinitum, but I am just wondering what is going on. If I am just doing valid operations and making valid substitutions, then why is the solution set constantly changing from what is originally was, i.e, ##\left\{ {1}\right\}##?

Also, given that I transformed ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0## to ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0##, is there any way to go in the reverse direction, that is, to start with ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0## and go to ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
So say that I have the quadratic equation ##x^2 - 2x +1 = 0##. If I multiply each side by ##x##, a valid operation, I get the new equation ##x^3 - 2x^2 + x = 0##, which has a different solution set as the first, namely ##\left\{ {0, 1}\right\}##. If I make the substitution ##x^2 = 2x -1 = 0##, then I now have ##x^3 - 2(2x - 1) + x = x^3 - 3x + 2##, which has the solution set ##\left\{ {-2,1}\right\}##. I could repeat this process ad infinitum, but I am just wondering what is going on. If I am just doing valid operations and making valid substitutions, then why is the solution set constantly changing from what is originally was, i.e, ##\left\{ {1}\right\}##?
The only change you're making is to enlarge the solution set.

If you leave your equations in factored form, it should be more obvious.
##(x - 1)^2 = 0## Solution {1}
##x(x - 1)^2 = 0## Solution {0, 1}
In your third equation, what you've done seems murky as you have written it, but if ##x^2 = 2x - 1##, then ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0## or ##(x - 1)^2 = 0##. Multiplying both sides by ##(x - 1)^2## raises the degree of the polynomial to 5, but there are no new values in the solution set.
Mr Davis 97 said:
Also, given that I transformed ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0## to ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0##, is there any way to go in the reverse direction, that is, to start with ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0## and go to ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0##?
Factor it.

What is the "degree" of an equation?

The degree of an equation is the highest exponent (or power) of the variable in the equation. For example, in the equation 2x^3 + 5x^2 - 3x + 7, the degree is 3 because that is the highest exponent of x.

Why does the degree of an equation increase?

The degree of an equation can increase for a few reasons. One common reason is when multiplying two or more equations together. Another reason is when raising an equation to a higher power, such as squaring or cubing it.

How does the degree of an equation affect its solutions?

The degree of an equation can determine the number of solutions it has. Equations with a degree of 0 (constant equations) have no solutions. Equations with a degree of 1 (linear equations) have one solution. Equations with a degree of 2 (quadratic equations) have two solutions, and so on.

Can the degree of an equation be negative?

No, the degree of an equation cannot be negative. It must be a positive integer. However, the degree can be 0, which indicates a constant equation with no variable terms.

How does the degree of an equation relate to its complexity?

In general, the higher the degree of an equation, the more complex it is. Higher degree equations often involve more terms and are more difficult to solve. However, this is not always the case and can vary depending on the specific equation.