Explanation for increase of degree of equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44
So say that I have the quadratic equation ##x^2 - 2x +1 = 0##. If I multiply each side by ##x##, a valid operation, I get the new equation ##x^3 - 2x^2 + x = 0##, which has a different solution set as the first, namely ##\left\{ {0, 1}\right\}##. If I make the substitution ##x^2 = 2x -1 = 0##, then I now have ##x^3 - 2(2x - 1) + x = x^3 - 3x + 2##, which has the solution set ##\left\{ {-2,1}\right\}##. I could repeat this process ad infinitum, but I am just wondering what is going on. If I am just doing valid operations and making valid substitutions, then why is the solution set constantly changing from what is originally was, i.e, ##\left\{ {1}\right\}##?

Also, given that I transformed ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0## to ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0##, is there any way to go in the reverse direction, that is, to start with ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0## and go to ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0##?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
So say that I have the quadratic equation ##x^2 - 2x +1 = 0##. If I multiply each side by ##x##, a valid operation, I get the new equation ##x^3 - 2x^2 + x = 0##, which has a different solution set as the first, namely ##\left\{ {0, 1}\right\}##. If I make the substitution ##x^2 = 2x -1 = 0##, then I now have ##x^3 - 2(2x - 1) + x = x^3 - 3x + 2##, which has the solution set ##\left\{ {-2,1}\right\}##. I could repeat this process ad infinitum, but I am just wondering what is going on. If I am just doing valid operations and making valid substitutions, then why is the solution set constantly changing from what is originally was, i.e, ##\left\{ {1}\right\}##?
The only change you're making is to enlarge the solution set.

If you leave your equations in factored form, it should be more obvious.
##(x - 1)^2 = 0## Solution {1}
##x(x - 1)^2 = 0## Solution {0, 1}
In your third equation, what you've done seems murky as you have written it, but if ##x^2 = 2x - 1##, then ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0## or ##(x - 1)^2 = 0##. Multiplying both sides by ##(x - 1)^2## raises the degree of the polynomial to 5, but there are no new values in the solution set.
Mr Davis 97 said:
Also, given that I transformed ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0## to ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0##, is there any way to go in the reverse direction, that is, to start with ##x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0## and go to ##x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0##?
Factor it.